View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 10:38 AM   #211
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Co7A POST

After they had resolved that issue, the Elf leaned back in deep concentration, speaking softly to Bird. Gamba wondered if she might be communicating with someone, as Elves do. Then she continued, "There is one other matter. The final night, when the two prisoners are taken to Gorthaur's temple, our plan is to ambush and rescue them. This will probably happen just before the ships arrive."

Gamba's jaw dropped open in astonishment. How could this Elf speak of stealing Gorthaur's prey as if it was an easy task?

Pio saw hesitation on several faces, but plunged ahead. "Do not worry about this matter," she added. "Our own people will make the plans and carry them out, although they may ask one or two of you for help."

Loremaster nodded in approval, although even he found it hard to imagine doing such a thing. "One other thing," he told the Elf. "We've selected men and women to organize and arm the hobbits in each section of the prison. Those who are very old or young, or who are ill, will march on the inside of the line and be protected as well as we can manage. We've tried to pair each of the weaker ones with someone who is strong and able."

"Do you have any more questions?" Loremaster asked. "If not, we'll meet at least once more. I'll let you know when."

One-by-one, each hobbit slipped out into the night until only the Elf and Loremaster were left. At that point, Bird hopped off Pio's shoulder and, for the first time in a very long while, changed into a woman. Then the three sat down for a final discussion. Loremaster had something to say, but was uncertain how to put it into words.

Pio looked over at him. "What is it?" she asked.

Loremaster put his head into his hands. "I hardly know how to make this request. All our lives, our people have been afraid. Afraid to raise their voices, afraid to strike out. Now we're asking them to change. It will not be easy. But there are some things that might help."

"The news of a Man in the expedition will spread quickly once the hobbits are told. Many will be afraid. Is it possible to bring this Mithadan to see us before the rescue, so our own people could be convinced of his decency and strength?"

"And there is another thing. For generations on end, our wise women and loremasters have foretold that Azra and Nitir would return when we needed them most. This is that time. Could they come into the tombs the day before the rescue? Were they to speak and be heard, some might be less afraid"

Loremaster added. "Perhaps it would be wise if we met in this place one more time on the night before the rescue. At that point, we could meet the Man, and Nitir and Azra could come to be with us."

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]