View Single Post
Old 10-21-2002, 08:39 AM   #242
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The skiff was loaded. In it had been placed several air bladders and an assortment of such knives and weapons as could be spared for the Hobbits in aid of their uprising. Mithadan's mail shirt was packed in greased cloth; he would not wear it into the water. At his waist were sheathed two long knives and two blades for throwing. In addition, he carried two tightly woven lines, each a bit more than foot in length, with wooden pegs secured at each end of the cords. He was attired all in black and wore a dark grey cloak with a deep hood.

He stood by the skiff for a moment, looking to where Cami and Rose were speaking with several Hobbrim, including the wise woman. Piosenniel was engaged in conversation with Khelek and Veritas over some matter. Since their converation of three days before, to him it seemed that she wore her sadness and concern like a badge and her face seemed veiled by shadow, though maybe no other could see this. His jaw tightened and his hands closed upon the rail until it creaked under the pressure. Then he spun and, with rapid steps, went below.

He knocked on a cabin door and, upon hearing a voice within, entered. Ancalimon sat at a writing table examining a crudely drawn map of the caverns and tombs. Mithadan stood before him and spoke. "I wish your counsel, Ancalimon," he said.

Ancalimon looked up at the Man, noting the furrows on his brow. "If you wish to discuss my being prepared to effect the transfer, if you and Piosenniel cannot do so, she has spoken to me of this already. And Angara as well."

Confusion flooded over Mithadan. "She has spoken to you of this? She fears she will not return? She will be safe!"

"Even Ulmo cannot see all ends, Mithadan," he responded. "Aye. Do not be surprised. I know of his words to you and I have looked and seen the mists which he spoke of concerning your fate. And if you perish, what will she do? I know not."

Mithadan leaned heavily upon the table, and spoke raggedly. "I have brought such grief to her. Perhaps it is true: Man and Elf are not meant to wed. Would that I had never kissed her! Would that I had died in Gondolin in her stead!"

"Nay!" insisted Ancalimon. "Say not such things! For the love between you two is a wondrous thing, unforeseen and yet of great merit and beauty like the blooming of a flower amidst a frost. Do not repent of a deed done with good heart. And know this!"

He stood and took the Man's shoulders. "We of the West cannot always know the ways of Men, for you bear a great gift from Iluvatar. You forge your own paths amidst the chances of the world and the results of your actions cannot always be perceived. I am uncertain what the coming days will bring for you or Piosenniel but remember, we play a great game untying the knots and wrinkles that time has wrought in the fabric of Arda. But it is a dangerous game with uncertain ends. I know not the meaning of this but my heart forebodes that not only by the blade may your course through the world be finished. Consider your choices well, and with thought not only for now but also for your past and future for I would not have this task be the end of you."

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]