Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 11:58 AM   #213
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OOC: This post is based on the presumption that the character Adanedhel is speaking to my character. If this is not so, this post may be deleted.

~*~*~*~*~

Even Laitalathion was surprised at the length of time that passed between him and this stranger without either of them uttering a word or drinking from their tankard. In a strange manner it was comfortingly companionable. 'But will this person want to associate with me once he knows what I have done to my own brother?' he thought to himself. "I am a honest person above all, and I do not like to harbour secrets about who I am."

"My name is Laitalathion son of Théomer, and I am a Gondorian," he said to this stranger, not wishing to reveal more than was possible. "I am a child of the Elves and of these eastern lands of Men. My family lived in Ithilien until my twin brother and I were but two years old, and then my father was slain by wargs. My mother took her family to the house of her sister near the border with Rohan, and there we lived until she sickened and died of grief. Know you the tale of the massacre of the White Horse?"

The dark-haired stranger nodded, his ice-blue eyes never blinking or focussing on anything other than Laitalathion's face. "I have heard that story spoken long years ago," he said, "but I knew not of what truth lay in it. Am I right in assuming this was the house you lived in as a child?"

Laitalathion said, "You are right. My brother and I ran away to the woodland realm, the home of our mother's people, some years before it happened. But alas! there we were merely tolerated, neither wanted nor rejected, and so after some years we returned to the lands of Men. We tried to go back to Ithilien, our rightful home, but our way was barred by guards of Gondor. They accused my father of treachery against the Lord Denethor and said all of his line were outlaws in that country."

"My brother remained in Rohan - what happened to him after we argued and parted company, I know not." The half-Elf was forced to curb his tongue from revealing the truth of his past deeds, wrestling with his inner sense of truth in order to keep in company with another. "I returned back west to the place they call the Shire, and met by chance with the last survivor of the Rocconinquė. Airerūthiel she now calls herself, after her mother; the true name she was given has left my memory.

"But I see I am boring with you with my tale - besides, I am intrigued to hear about your history, friend. I know that your name is Adanedhel, having overheard the good lady Bethberry call you by that not long before. What brings you to this inn at Edoras?"