Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 03:40 AM   #221
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

"Certainly, stories are a wonderful way to break ice with strangers. Should I tell one? Then you can tell one, after you've seen how simple it is." She smiled again and approached the chair near the fire while Cole watched attentively.

She stood near the chair and politely cleared her throat for attention. A few people looked up; more than enough.

"I'll tell you a tale of Far Harad, far distant in Time and Space.

"Long ago, a man lived, a hunter of great prowess and pride. His name was Jongo, and he believed himself to be the greatest hunter ever to roam the plains of Harad. Indeed, his neighbors believed this too and he it was who was always sent out to fetch meat for the larders of Durwenna. He always hunted alone and often stayed for weeks, sometimes months. He had no children and his wife was always able to find a manner of entertaining herself while he was away, so his lifestyle suited everyone and it seemed it would never change.

"On one such trip, when he was stalking the elusive Spotted Deer, he camme across an old man from the distant village of Luriwenna. The old man, whose name has been lost to the passage of time, was one of great reputation, greater even than Jongo's. But the man was dying. Jongo could see it immediately, in the pool of blood on the ground and the way the old man's leg was crushed and ground into the soil.

"'Old Sir, what has happened?' He rushed to the old man's side, but could not heal him. The old man had only moments to impart his final advice.

"'Young Sir, listen to me! I was huntimg the Spotted Deer, as I've hunted them all my life. But, see--' The old man indicated his bow, which was on the ground, cleaved, 'My bow did not fire. It broke usunder instead, and the Deer were startled. I had not time to flee. I have been lying her for many hours; if I had hunted with a partner, I might have lived, but if I had taken the proper care of my tool, my true partner, my bow, I would not have been overcome at all. Always remember, Young Sir, care for your bow as if it were your very life, for as you can see by me, it is!' and with those words the old man spoke no more and in a moment was dead.

"Jongo the Hunter forever after heeded the old man's words and cared for his tools as they deserved and when the time came for him to leave the Circles of the World, it was as an old man in his bed, not lost and alone in the forest, and he taught all the young hunters the old man's wisdom and made certain they heeded it as he did.

"This tale is still told in the Inns and Taverns of Far Harad, and to this day if you go there, you will hear it, the Tale of the Hunter's Bow."

Finishing her story, Susan bowed and returned to the table. She watched Cole, curious to see his reaction.