Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2003, 12:19 AM   #237
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Adanedhel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I, like Lugbúrz, in the short amount of time that I have been role playing (A year and a half) I have come to realise Role Playing for what it really is, creative writing.
Though role playing is a lot more easier to understand and to keep track of, you are only looking after one character per role play at anyone time (sometimes two, though it is rare). Writing in a role play, though, requires of you to employ skills in writing otherwise not used, skills like interaction between other characters of whom you nearly know nothing about and drawing other people into the story, a skill of which very few possess and use well. I have been in many role plays on other message boards and only one here of which I played a minor role, I have always look for one thing that makes me want to join a role play.

An original and exciting idea.

Though there are many that have been done before and more still that are not very exciting or interesting which dooms their failure and demise to slowly become deserted by the gamers. Without an interesting idea and plot then the role play would not function well and would fade into nothingness, the more involved the players can get into the game and the amount the the players can develop their characters and the relationship between the characters the better. One role play that I think embodies this is one that I have been involved in ever since I first started role playing. It was the first role play I was ever involved in and it is still going to this day. Though some people have had to leave their places have been taken by others, though these holes cannot be filled just like life the characters have come and gone with the exception of two. Myself and one other.
The other thing I look for is a good Thread Master, without one of these then the role play will be a shambles, people won’t have a direction or sense of purpose. The RP of which I spoke of above has had the Thread Master leave but replaced by one that has been involved in the RP since the start and so the RP has continued........As Bethberry would know well [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

If it wasn’t for reading the Hobbit all those years ago I would never had started writing and never have found the wonders of Role playing with people who have such skill with words. Role playing, in my humble opinion, is like music for the eyes, bringing images through words instead of the notes of an instrument, and emotions through their form, be it joy, sadness, anger, despair or hope. All of these things writing can give you but only if it is used properly, and only through practice and by watching and learning from others.

Writing is a very powerful thing and one of the many instruments through which to channel imagination and creativeness, but it not always works and is hard to master.......

-Henry V