Thread: In War
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Darian cleaned off his sword in the secret refuge of Henneth Annûn. They had just returned from ambushing a band of orcs that had entered into the woods of Ithilien early that morning. Now, word had come of a company of Southrons that would be heading up the Harad road towards the Black Gate the next day. Darien replaced the arrows that he was unable to recover, and placed his sword back in its scabbard. He looked at it and it reminded him of his father. His father had bore it, and under his care it had slain many a foul orc. He went and watched the sun rise over Mindolluin. That always helped him calm himself after a fight.

Footsteps behind him came to his ears. He turned to see his friend, and fellow Ranger Mablung, come up bearing a letter.

"For you, my friend. It comes straight from the Steward." He handed it over and waited.

Darian opened the letter. It read:

Darian, Ranger of Ithilien-

You are ordered to report to the great gate of Minas Tirith an hour before sunlight tomorrow. An officer of the Citadel Guard named Sir Mindalel will be in the inside of the gate. Speak to him for more orders. Prepare for a week of riding in the snow and combat. Horses will be provided.

Denathor, Steward of Gondor

Mablung stood there watching him.

"What does it say?" he asked.

Darian handed it to him.
"I need to report to the White City tomorrow morning. It looks as if I'm heading on another journey." It looked as if he wouldn't get the rest he wanted after all.

"Did you receive one also?" Darian asked.
"Nay. It looks as if you shall be setting off alone. Damrod did not receive one either. The other Rangers are needed here, I assume."

"Well then, I shall gather my gear and head off. I have the rest of the day to get to Minas Tirith." Darien headed off to his quarters. Mablung followed.

"You need not report to Captain Faramir. He has already seen this letter."

They entered Darien's quarters. He quickly gathered his equipment, which wasn't much; just his weapons, a few extra clothes, and some rations.

After he geared up and was ready to depart, he turned to Mablung.

"My friend, I fear this is where we depart. May the grace of the Valar protect you and preserve you until our next meeting." Darien said.

"And may the Valar speed your journey. May your journey to Osgiliath go unchallenged. I doubt that once you reach Osgiliath, that the rest of the way to Minas Tirith will be dangerous." Mablung replied.

The two Rangers clasp hands for a moment. Than without another word, Darian headed off to find himself a horse, while Mablung returned to his post.