View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Camlost, the crow

The two hungry creatures made their way to the back of the Inn. Draug padded silently from bush to tree, keeping in the shadows. His last hiding place was just behind the storage shed that sat at the end of the Inn garden. Hunkering down beneath a potting table that sat up against the side of the outbuilding, he was well hidden. His keen yellow eyes were focused on the window sills that flanked the kitchen door. The quarry was in sight!

Camlost was perched on the top of the shed, his head twisting back and forth as he surveyed the area. The scent of the wolf had caused a minor alarm in the chicken pen and some uneasiness in the stable that stood just across the yard. A man, the stableman the crow assumed, had come out to the yard to check for the source of the problem.

Squawking loudly, the crow flew to a perch on the edge of the stable eaves that overlooked the chicken pen. ‘So it’s you causing all this commotion, is it?’ eyeing the crow. ‘You looking for some leftover chicken feed to snatch up? Or some spilled oats, perhaps.’ Camlost bobbed his head and croaked, almost as if answering him. The man shooed him off and went back into the stables to quiet the horses.

‘Another stupid two-leg,’ chuckled Camlost circling back to the roof of the shed. ‘There’s no one about now,’ he hissed to his hidden companion. ‘And look, the Cook has been so kind as to set out the bread for the noon meal. A cooling rack with fat, fragrant loaves had been put on a table just outside the kitchen door.

‘Be quick now, Sir Wolf!’ said Camlost spreading his wings for a silent glide that would bring him over the table. ‘You grab a pie; I’ll get the bread. We’ll meet in that copse of tall trees and bushes to the south of the Inn yard . . .’

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]