View Single Post
Old 09-21-2002, 11:37 AM   #142
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Let me go through this from my point of view -

If Sauron somehow finds out about the imprisoned hobbits - it must be at the very last moment when all he can do is send extra guards to the site. He is the Lord of Gifts and a fair deceiver - I don't think many or any of the rescuers could face and resist him.

None of the fleet can be 'recalled'. They are already many days on their way to Aman by the time Sauron should find out about anything. Sauron/Gorthaur must use what ships he can find (I don't think Ar-Parazôn would have given Gorthaur that much military power that he would have a fleet of his own.)
Again, if Sauron's spy ships are out looking for dragon they will be in direct contact with him. So, any direct encounter with one of them needs to come just before our rescue of the hobbits - even if we sink the ship and kill all, he will know who has done it and will focus on us.

I agree with Khelek - The Telerin will not be eager to do anything other than some small defense during the rescue mission. That is their objective - to transport the the hobbits, not to engage in major battles with men or maia.

The dragon sequence is good - with Angara coming back to let Mith and Pio know the details of his Encounter with the evil mind. Ancalimon already knows of this encounter - see Mith's post in the story about that. Should we assume he would already has told Mith and Pio about it, or not? Most of Sauron's concern should turn solely on the hint of dragon that he sensed.

If we go with the Daisy sequence - I don't mind writing her. Levanto can go back upriver to deliver her (I think he will need to alert them he is bringing her - perhaps make contact with Gamba who would love to pump her for all the info he can get about Pio.) She cannot be 'up' on the mount because Sauron would then know about the hobbits. She can work in the guard headquarters during the day, being the more or less invisible victorian servant around whom all the 'betters' speak freely. At night she would go back to the caves with the other hobbits. That's how she and Gamba could talk and how Levanto could bring back info she has gleaned. This would be an interesting write, I think, and would bring together the old and new hobbit cultures.

Sauron's commanders should not be near the tombs or caverns - Again, He cannot find out about the hobbits until the last. And I am still unclear how we are planning that he does find out about the hobbits and sends more guards to the site. Can we instead, have the actual guards at the site become suspicious somehow and asked for increased troops 'just in case'? We then have to plan something for them to be suspicious about. Any ideas? Do we want Daisy hauled up on suspicion because she's the new girl in the office?

Perhaps the 'battle against the clock' can be against Sauron's actual coming to engage us at the caverns. And the race to to free Daisy from the isolation cell they have her in.

BTW - once the Teleri arrive - Pio will arrange immediate links with them and we will immediately sail upriver. We will go under the cover of darkness (20 ships! Only a blind person couldn't see them going up the long river!)

No, Pio doesn't dare contact them again.
No, that is the fastest they can come - this was previously discussed with Tuor via Idril when Pio first went back to speak with her. They are travelling, already, twice as fast as the King's fleet going the other way.

*the light bulb goes on!

unless of course we have an Ulmo intervention at this part of the story!

What do you think?

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]