View Single Post
Old 07-19-2002, 03:09 PM   #113
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Manelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She hadn't felt like this in ages, but it felt good. The ale had gone completely to her head and that was rather dangerous for an elf, but she was rather careless anyways; and always had been since she was old enough to crawl out of her crib. "My mother always...hic....always said that...hic...trouble finds me...." She said slowly, remembering her mother and father, who she left in Avallone.

Happily she began to sing, swaying in her seat;
Ní bíad eigredd in cach dú;
ní bíad geimred gáethmar glé;
ní bíad iffern; Ní bíad brón;
ní bíad oman, minbad mé.

The men that sat around the table listened quietly to the elf as she sang, her voice low but sweet and not a note slipped, dispite her drunkeness. "What's that mean?" Grunted Orzacles.

"There would be no ice...in any place...there would be no glistening windy winter...there would be no hell...there would be no sorrow...there would be no fear...were it not for me..." She recited the poem in the common tongue, but it sounded less sweet and all the men lowered their eyes to their ale cups. "I heard it a long time ago...but it matters not where it comes from..." Her smile was warm and normal and it made Thorondruin startle, "It suits me doesn't it?"

With a wolfish grin of his own, Orzacles nodded, "I think so, and it suits you too." Her grin transformed, loosing its beauty as it turned into a leering grin, her white skin flushed scarlet as she reached over and roughly clapped the warrior on the shoulder. "Good!"

OOC. The song is called 'I am Eve' and I found it on the 'Midiæval Bæbes' CD called 'The Rose'. The song is Irish Gaelic but I find that Gaelic is a lyrical dialect that all elfish language is based off of.