View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 01:32 PM   #72
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Primrose was up as the sun rose over Hobbiton's green fields. As she got dressed and crept out of the house, she wondered how she could get all the hobbits in one place at one time to discuss their plans. Deciding she'd do a favor for her father, she walked to the Hobbiton post office to see if there were any letters. To her surprise, she found there was one that was addressed to her, from Olo Proudfoot.

Prim tore open the envelope and pulled the paper out, reading it over carefully. Smiling, she folded it back up and went back home to have breakfast. She was certain everyone else had received letters that said the same.

Greetings

You are invited to Olo Proudfoots house, for lunch and discussion. About you know what.

Signed
Olo

"Mum," she said as she sat down, handing the rest of the letters to her father, "I'm going over to Olo Proudfoot's house for lunch." She handed her mother the letter.

"'About you know what?'" her mother said, puzzled. "Well, I suppose you may. Does this concern what you were talking about last night at dinner?"

"Yes, Mum," said Primrose. "But, Mum, after breakfast I'm going straight over to Melilot's house. I have some business with her."

Primrose was willing to forgive her friend for forgetting the meeting, because that was what she did most of the time -forget things-, but she was not eager to have to explain it all over again.

Well, I'm the leader, Prim thought. I guess I have to. I'll explain to Bilbo why she wasn't there, as well. I can't imagine not having Melilot during our 'journey!'

The hobbit children had finished breakfast and were at Bag End. Bilbo handed them each ten invitations, explaining what they should do as he did so. Frodo had gone for a walk at Bilbo's suggestion, and now he hastened to get the children on their way.

"You will each start out with these ten," he said. "They have the names on them, so you'll who to give them to. Make sure Frodo does not read the invitations. If he asks you tell him what they are; he knows he's having a birthday soon."

"But, Mr. Bilbo," one of the children said, "is there anything in the invitations that talks about the surprise party?"

"Of course. We want everyone to be able to give him a surprise. I only hinted at it, though, saying that they should be there early." Bilbo looked at all the children. "Now, go on, go deliver those. Come back for more when you finish!"

The children were out the door before Bilbo had spoken the last words.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]