View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #85
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam put the invitations in the inside pocket of his vest, so that Frodo wouldn't see them if they happened to meet. He looked at the first name. It took him a little while to remember where the house was, and then he set off, humming a tune to himself--one of the tunes Bilbo had taught him.

Now that the oath was behind him, he was beginning to really enjoy this whole party business. The very secrecy of it, the thrill of being "in the know," he loved it. Now, keeping it from Frodo might be a bit of a problem--but it hadn't come up yet, so he wasn't worrying about it. Hopefully it wouldn't come up!

He also loved being able to help Mr. Bilbo. He had done so much for Sam, teaching him his letters and telling him all the stories of the old days that he'd never have heard anywhere else. He owed so much to Mr. Bilbo, it was wonderful to be able to give something back. And a birthday party was always wonderful.

He was well on his way, having delivered half of the invitations, when he saw a figure some ways in front of him. With a frown, he quickened his pace to see what it was. As he neared, it seemed to be a girl. Belle?

Melilot was relieved beyond words when Prim came over, and didn't forget to let Prim know: the walk to Olo's house, after Prim's explanation, was filled with desperate thank-you's and I'm-sorry's until Melilot was nearly out of breath and Prim never wanted to hear either of those expressions again.

The walk had taken a little while, and Melilot had begun to wonder if they would ever arrive. She was anxious to learn all about the party, all about the plans, and somehow make up for her missing of the first announcement. But eventually they arrived at Olo's house.

It was a lovely house, and Melilot approved thoroughly, but the garden was what really caught her eye. She herself wasn't much of a gardener, but her father was, and they had a bit of a garden in the back; but nothing like this. It was quite gorgeous.

Once they got inside, she was introduced to Olo and his family, and soon after to Pearl Took. A little rush of excitement swept over Melilot. This ought to be fun! Now to wait until the meeting began.

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]