View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 10:41 AM   #92
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The minute Marigold left, Sam had turned to Bilbo, with an idea of his own, "My mother can help. She's a Goodchild by birth, and they all have healing skills. My mother doesn't say too much outside the family. In fact, she uses it mostly on our farm animals. I've seen her set a dog's broken leg, and, six weeks later, it healed straight and clean."

"Go, lad, now and get her," Bilbo urged the boy. And, with that, Sam ran off to fetch his mother.

Since the Gamgee house lay so close to Bag-end, it was only a matter of minutes until his mother, Belle Goodchild, appeared, carrying an old leather case over her shoulder. She placed her hand on the girl's head, scrutinizing it intently, and then carefully examined every inch of her.

"Here," she whispered, pointing towards a jagged cut on the litte Belle's head. "This is where she hit a rock as she fell. This is why she does not wake." She carefully bathed the wound and dressed it, and, as she did so, the girl began to toss about slightly, although she still did not awaken. A good sign, Mistress Goodchild thought, but kept her reflections to herself, not wanting to raise false hopes.

Mistress Goodchild made sure the girl was warm and comfortable, and then set her arm in a splint. When she finished, she explained to Bilbo. "The break was clean and that is good. I will feel better though, after she awakes."

Within just a few minutes, Marigold had returned with Belle's tweener brother Ned in tow.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]