View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003, 05:54 PM   #142
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam began to breathe again once they arrived at the Inn. Now they had adults on their side; this would be taken care of in no time. No need to worry now!

When they got into the common room, Sam spotted Cami immediately, huddled in a little ball, and Ted, who was shouting about what a thief Cami was. It took all of Sam's will power to keep from running up and slugging him, but he knew that that wouldn't solve anything, and it might even make Ted look like he was telling the truth. And that was the last thing Sam wanted to do.

He opened his mouth to talk, but Bowman beat him to it. Frustrated, Sam scowled at him and crossed his arms. What business of his was this? None, that's what. Cami wasn't his cousin, not even his friend. Sam's scowl deepened. Poor, little, weak? He didn't know what he was talking about.

And Sam didn't want to travel with him.

He pulled Elanor over to the side. "Elanor, I'm thinking that I don't like this Bowman," he said in a low voice.

"I'm thinking that I agree," Elanor said. Sam shot a glare at Bowman, who wasn't paying any attention, but showing off.

"I don't think I want to travel with him," Sam continued.

"I don't think so either," Elanor agreed. She stopped stiff, and looked at Sam. "Um, what are you thinking, exactly? Making him leave?"

Sam chuckled humourlessly. "That'd be like trying to rise the sun at midnight. He's stubborn if nothing else."

"Then what?" Elanor protested.

"Well..." Sam considered. "I guess we'll just have to leave."

"What!" Elanor exclaimed. At Sam's frantic shushing motions she lowered her voice. "What! Leave? Are you serious, Sam? Because if not, that's not a funny joke."

"It's no joke, Elanor, I couldn't stand to work with him," Sam replied seriously. "And if we fight, that'll only make things worse and who knows? Maybe Frodo'll overhear."

"Oh," Elanor said, swayed by his logic. "Well, if you think it's for the best..."

Truthfully, Sam didn't know at all if it was for the best. All he knew was that he couldn't stand to work with Bowman Proudfoot.

They waited out Cami's rescue and savored hearing Ted Sandyman told off, and agreed on a time to meet that night. They decided that they'd still help with the party, so they would stow away in one of the carts that the travelling hobbits were using.

And that night, they did.

Sam roused himself about an hour before the appointed meeting time, wrote out a quick note telling his parents that he and Elanor had gone with the travelling hobbits, packed a few things in one of his father's old sacks, and quietly stepped out the window. He met Elanor halfway, and they started off.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]