View Single Post
Old 05-26-2003, 11:19 PM   #38
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As the moon rose high in the sky over the gardens of Rivendell, a tall Elf walked across the lawns and made his way over to the guest house where the visitors had bunked for the night. Standing outside the door of the room which Elentari occupied, he knocked on her door with some hesitency and called out with a low voice, "Elentari, Elentari. I have need to speak to you."

He heard a rustle of fine linen as the Elf made her way to the door and gently pulled it open.

"Your pardon, fair lady," Elrond bowed to his lovely visitor. "I would fain not bother you so late tonight, when you have travelled so many miles on the road and sat with courtesy and grace this evening in the great hall. Yet, there are urgent matters of business on which I must speak."

Hearing this polite speech, Elentari nodded and asked Lord Elrond to step inside, offering him a sweet drink of red wine from the flagon that stood upon her table. She indicated he should draw up a chair and sit down near her.

Elrond sighed and then continued, "Elentari, I have great respect for your swift sword and deadly bow, yet I fear for you and those now in your company. The errand that you undertake is no small thing. We have heard tales of this wondrous dragon, for we see him as he flies across our own skies on his path from the Blue Mountains to the forests of Mirkwood. He is a beast of great might and strong will, not a creature who will give in easily to such a small band of adventurers."

Elentari stood up as if to argue with Elrond, but he shook his head and took her hand in his own.

"Nay, good lady. I will not tell you to turn back for I know the need is great. Too many have been carried off to the dragon's lair, and who knows what he does with them? I know you will not turn aside even if I were to stand and try to dissuade you."

"No, I will not do that. But there is one thing you must do for me. Your company goes to rescue dwarves and Elves. As head of Rivendell, it is my responsibility to assist those who venture out on such an errand. For some of those imprisoned are Elves well known to me from my previous dealings in Mirkwood."

"When it is time for you to leave, make your way to the stables where you will find horses have been provided for all those in your company who do not presently have them. I will take no money for these beasts, since it is you who do me a great favor in going out to battle this dragon. For who knows where his attention may turn next? That this beast should fly so far from the Blue Mountains across the Anduin and over to Mirkwood and Long Lake is quite unheard of. I wish you and your company all good luck, and hope that you stay a day or two to replenish your supplies and your spirits."

With this, he bade Elentari good evening and walked back towards the main compound, thinking long and hard on the great cold drake who awaited the company somewhere in the heart of the Blue Mountains.