View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002, 01:20 PM   #40
ColletteTook
Shade of Carn Dûm

ColletteTook has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to ColletteTook Send a message via AIM to ColletteTook
1420!

"One weak link will easily break the chain with but a tug"
The words that her Grim and Gram had always said to her, now echoed through her head as she stared at the girl.
Raye glanced over. "What?!" she half-snarled, looking annoyed.
Faryn turned her head away with a shrug and carried on her uneasy thoughts to herself. She feared that Raye would cause distrust, and uneasiness in the company, and make a weak link in "the chain", and then become a merciless tugger upon them.
The tress rose dark around them, and the path wound ahead, deserted and yet to be trotted upon by their feet. She could see the sky through the tree tops, a deep azure, with a little puff cloud here or there...and then suddenly from no where Belle said "What lore do you know Faryn? Sing us a song!"
Faryn thought for a bashful moment and then giggled as she started:
"Troll sat alone on his seat of ston, and munched and mumbled a bare old bone;
For many a year he gnawed it near, for meat was hard to come by! Gum by!
In a cave in the hill he dwelled alone, and meat was hard to come by.

Up came tom with his big boots on. Said he to the Troll "Pray, what is yon? for it looks like the shin o' my old nuncle Tim, As should be a-lyin' in graveyard.
Caveyard!Paveyard!
This many a year has TIm been gone, and I thought he were lying in graveyard.

"My lad" said the Troll 'This bone I stole. BUt what be bones that lie in a hole? Thy nuncle was dead as a lump o' lead, afore I found his shinbone.
Tinbone! Thinbone!
He can spare a share for a poor old Troll, for he dont need his shinbone.'

Said Tom: 'I dont see why the likes o' thee without axin' leave with the shank or shin of my fathers kin, so hand the old bone over!
Rover!Trover!
Though dead he be, it belongs to he so hand the old bone over!

'For a couple of pins'' says the Troll and grins, 'i'll eat thee too, and gnaw thy shins. A bit o' fresh meat will go down sweet! I'll try my teeth on thee now!
Hee now! See now!
Im tired of gnawing old bones and skins, ive a mind to dine on thee now.

but just as he thought that dinner was caught,He found his hands had hold of naught. Before he could mind, Tom slipped behind and gave him the boot to larn him!
Warn him! Darn him!
A bump o' the boot on the seat, tom thought, would be the way to larn him.

But harder than stone is the flesh and bone of a Troll that site in the hills alone. As well set your boot to the mountains root, for the seat of a Troll dont feel it!
Peel it! Heal it!
Old Troll laughed, when he heard Tom groan, and he knew his toes could feel it.

Tom's leg is game, since home he came, and his bootless foot is lasting lame. but the Troll dont care, and he's still there with the bone he boned from it's owner!

There was an uproar of laughter from the rest of the company, even Faryn thought Raye to be smiling a bit from the corner of her eye, as they continued on, with lighter hearts.