View Single Post
Old 11-25-2002, 02:41 PM   #47
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

"You say there will be dangers on this journey, Bullroarer," said Dinodas. "What kind?"

Bullroarer did not answer. Following the his gaze, Dinodas saw the door to the inn open and a hobbit step in, who moved towards their table.

Dinodas stood up and said quietly, "A new adventurer, I see. Perhaps I shouldn't bother you for awhile?"

He walked over to Robin and took a seat next to her, listening with an amused smile as she talked the wonders of Rivendell to Hal. Then he turned to where the other young hobbit lass, Daisy Took, and Gaddy were speaking. He smiled at Daisy.

"I hope I'm not interrupting, but I just thought I'd properly introduce myself to young Daisy here," said he. "I may not know Gaddy and Hal, but as they live in Bywater, like myself, I've passed them a few times. Yet I've never seen you before, Daisy.

"My name is Dinodas Green, which you knew when we were introduced," he continued. "Will you be making this long journey with us?"

"Yes, if all goes well," Daisy said shyly.

Dinodas gave a teasing look at Gaddy. "I know Gaddy will be going," he grinned. "As long as Miss Took is going along."

Gaddy mumbled a reply under his breath, and Daisy blushed.

Meanwhile the conversation between Hal and Robin had changed abruptly, through Robin's own fault. She was likely to talk about something else in the middle of one conversation.

"I wonder if there will be anymore Brandybucks coming on this journey?" she said. "I hope so, because I think it would be interesting if I had a relation of mine come with us.

"What's your full name again, Hal?" she added.

"Halwon Cotton," Hal replied.

"That's right," said Robin. "I think I know another Cotton… or do I?" There was a pause, and when Hal looked at Robin again it was plain to see she had completely forgotten the conversation, because she was gazing out the window at the stars.

"Er… well… what will you be bringing on this adventure, Robin?" asked Hal hesitantly. He wasn't sure if he wanted to interrupt her daydream or not.

"Oh!" Robin was immediately back to attention. "I'll bring my bow."

"Is that all?"

"No…" Robin thought for a minute. "I haven't really considered what I'll bring yet."

"You should have, Robin Brandybuck. We'll be leaving soon."

Robin looked up quickly at Hal. "Did you say that?" she asked, then suddenly she knew. "Dinodas Green!" she cried. "I thought Hal was actually a rude hobbit, and that he was saying that to me!"

Dinodas and Hal both laughed, while Robin tried to pout.

"So what will you be bringing besides your bow?" Hal asked after Dinodas turned back to Gaddy and Daisy.

"If Bullroarer'll let me, I'll bring my pony Gil-Galad. After the Elven-king, you know," said Robin. "He's a good pony. Strong and sturdy, very brave… pretty fast, too. He'd be a wonderful pack pony."

"But enough talk about the journey," she said, yet again changing the conversation. "It's making me nervous. Tell me about Bywater, Hal."

"But hasn't Dinodas told you about Bywater?" asked Hal. "And you've seen it yourself."

"But I want to hear it from your point of view," replied Robin. "Go on, tell me all about Bywater."