View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 12:54 PM   #39
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

“Mother!”
Morwen winced at the sound, and bit her lip before turning. Deliberately she arranged her features into her most forbidding look. Would he never take the hint? He was obviously stupid. He took after his father in that.

"Yes?" She bit off the word, loading as much disaproval into the one syllable as she could. She very nearly smiled at the way his cheery grin faltered, but realised that this could be misconstrued. Undaunted though, her son came up to her and kissed her cheek, gripping her arms in some sort of embrace in the process. Morwen shook herself free, purposefully not supressing a shudder. She felt a slight twinge at the hurt that shone from his eyes.
Nonsense, she told herself firmly. This is not time to get weak.

"M-Mother, I came to the city as Earnil's guard. I think I will be staying for quite a while."

Morwen looked up in surprise.
"The brat's here already?" she asked with interest.
"Yes, Earnil's here but he's not a brat he..."
She cut out the sound of Caeran's droning voice. It was quite wearisome. So the child was here? A malicious smile spread across her face at the thought. The queen would have to face her failing a day earlier, would she? How lovely for her.

Taking the smile for encouragement, Caeran began to talk louder and more excitedly. His words forced their way into Morwen's consciousness.
"- she's really lovely, I know you will love her. I can't wait to get married."

A mirthless chuckle passed through Morwen's lips at the dreamy smile on his face. Heaven's above, had she really produced such a child?
"There's no such thing as a happy marriage" she told him bitterly. "You will see that when you accompany the brat to see the King and Queen."

"But I love Lorna-" Caeran began, distressed.
"Love!" Morwen spat the word. "What use is love! They loved each other once, the King and Queen. What came of it? If you want to be foolish, fine. Don't involve me in your folly. Don't expect me to be pleased. Just stay OUT of my life."

Caeran was furious. How dare she talk like that! How dare she! It was always the same. He made the effort and she threw it back in his face. She wouldn't answer letters, she ignored him, she insulted him. He supposed he should give up, but it was so hard... All he wanted was a family. Well he would get a family- his own family with Lorna. He lifted his head defiantly. She wouldn't get to him anymore. He gave up on her.
Until the next time… a little voice whispered in his mind. Caeran shook it away.

And love! How could she dismiss it when it had warped her whole life? It was love that had made her the pitiful, cold shell she was. Well, if she wanted to continue going through life alone so be it. He washed his hands of her. He had to get back to his duties anyway. The scare earlier had unnerved him, and the whole party. Clearly Earnil needed watching closely...
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link