View Single Post
Old 11-16-2002, 11:38 AM   #23
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Although the sun was warming the air now and the dew and mist of the chill night had almost disippated, Bethberry's fingers were still numb with cold.

She had risen far before dawn, packed her bag and leather satchel, taken a quick breakfast of bread, honey and tea, and then sought the secluded path into the wood which she and Gandalf had trod two nights earlier. In the dark, with but the stars and moon to guide her, she shivered as she searched for the patches of borage which she had seen while delivering the meals to the Rangers in their cabin.

Stepping lightly and swiftly, she was careful not to be seen, for she did not want to attract any more attention to the Rangers' cabin than the several meetings had already done. Feeling the leather and wood pendant which Strider had placed around her neck a short two days ago, she then wrapped her heavy cloak more tightly around her for warmth as she stepped around yew and cedar, ducked the low branches of elm and oak, occasionally getting the hanging mosses tangled in her hair. The moonlight barely penetrated to the forest bed, illuminating small, shifting patches of the leaf debris with a silver sheen, for Bethberry had left the small beaten path soon after entering the forest.

She was searching for the tall elderberry shrub, its leaves a mottled cream and green which was the sign she had marked. She thought she had found it when a voice spoke quietly to her out of the dark.

"The woods are dark and deep with strange goings on. Are they safe for a Bombadil, even one who is an Honorary Ranger?" Strider inquired of her.

Bethberry was startled, for despite her woodcraft, she had not heard him approach. She looked at the tall but slightly stooped figure who came to her side, cloaked and hidden, and she would have become uneasy had not the voice given away his identity.

"You have given me a valuable lesson, Strider. I was so intent on attaining my goal that I listened not for others."

"You trod quietly and lightly; none would have seen you save any looking for you. What do you seek that you must come by starlight and moon?" A rustling overhead drew his eyes up, and he noted Wyrd had come to perch on a nearby branch.

"A patch of borage that I marked the other night, delivering the supper. It is hard to come by and I would have a goodly supply of it, if I may, notwithstanding the bag you have already given me."

Though it was dark, Bethberry sensed the Ranger smiled. "So your keen eyes discerned it, River Daughter. You alone are the only one other than myself to have found that patch. You are almost upon it. Here," he said, as he drew her around the elderberry shrub to the west side and pointed to the herbs almost hidden under the leaf fall. "Take what you need; the patch is large and tended by me. You fear you and Gandalf will have much need of it?"

A gentle smile rounded Bethberry's face. "I do not fear, as you say, Strider, for a light, nay a song, guides me that gives me hope. Yet I worry that we might. Unease grows these days even among those who watch not."

The Ranger could not help but warm to the calm declaration and be comforted by the light which glimmered even in the dark from those hazel eyes.

"Merry met, daughter of Tom and Goldberry. I stand corrected in the gentlest of ways. Do you want help or my company back to the Inn?"

"Unless you know of greater trouble than that I am aware of, I would not disturb your work here, Strider.And I have Wyrd."

"So be it. Good night, nay, good moonlight to you, Bethberry, and good chance to you and Gandalf on your journey."

With a short bow, Strider then retreated into the forest shadows and Bethberry turned to her task.

"Spirit of the elderberry, allow me trespass and forgive what branch or twig I might need break to gather the borage." She spoke the petition softly as she knelt and quickly picked a goodly supply of the fragrant leaves, nimbly at first but as the night wore on the cold crept into her fingers, her knees and her feet. She was glad when her harvesting was done and she could chafe her hands repeatedly.

A quick and uneventful return brought her back to the Inn, where she spied many gathered around Gandalf.

"Forgive my delay. I will quickly seek my room and be ready to depart."

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]