View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 09:57 AM   #30
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child of The 7th Age Post

Andreth felt her feet give as the Lady and her bags came crashing against her side. The young maid tried to jump out of the way, but to no avail. She found herself down on the ground with the small hobbit, the one named Poppy, pinned underneath her skirts.

"I'm so sorry," Andreth blurted out to Poppy's wiggling form. She quickly got up and began trying to untangle the hobbit girl who was still trapped beneath her own pack and all of the belongings of the other lady.

Poppy giggled and rolled out from under the baggage, sitting up and extending her hand. "I'm fine. My name is Poppy. You must be the girl from Bree."

Andreth nodded yes and shook her hand.

"Are you alright, Mistress Bethberry?" Poppy asked.

The woman responded by laughing merrily. "I think that's the question I should be putting to you two."

She quickly checked the girls over to make sure they were in one piece, and then introduced herself to Andreth. "I am Bethberry, and I'm glad to see that no damage is done. I do apologize. Next time, I'll winnow out a few more of my belongings, or get a better hold on the load."

Andreth said nothing for a moment, but looked intently at the older woman. So this was Bethberry. She looked a bit different than she'd imagined. Her eyes were fresh and clear like leaves of spring rustling in a forest. Andreth had expected a wizened prune. This at least seemed better than what she'd feared.

Andreth reached out her hand to offer a polite greeting, but then froze. Half of the contents of her pack had spilled out under the table. Andreth could see a spare jacket, her tiny hand loom for weaving small items, plus a few balls of yarn rolling here and there. And then she spied what she most feared. There it was, clearly visible to all, if they just craned their necks a bit. This was not good. She'd better do something fast or everyone in the room would be asking questions. Plus, she didn't want to think what her father would say about this blunder.

She hastily crawled under the table and scooped up her loose possessions, stuffing them back in the sack. Andreth took special care with one very old item, making sure that it was safe and well hidden again.
Then Andreth quickly pulled herself up, and cordially greeted Poppy and Bethberry.

Bethberry gave her a puzzled look. For one moment Bethberry seemed about to comment further on what had happened, but thought better of it and went on instead to other things.

Piosenniel's Post

Breakfast by the river had been foregone when Holly and Olo passed through the yard and noted how their fellow travellers had begun to gather about Gandalf.

'Won't do to be late on my first time out, will it?' said Olo. He put his hand on Holly's arm and brought her to a stop. 'I'll just grab my pack and walking stick, then pop down to the kitchen and get us something to eat along the way. You see to Peri, get him all packed up. And I'll meet you in the yard.'

It was an agreeable plan and Holly waved him off. She strode back quickly to the stable, and brought Peri out from his stall. 'Well, old friend, we're off again.' She scratched his ears, then offered him another apple. He munched on it contentedly as she threw the small blanket pad over his back, followed closely by the packs, buckled securely round him.

'So, how does that feel?' she asked him, as she stepped back to survey her handiwork. He raised his head up, then shook his neck and withers, testing the feel of the packs on him. He shook his head back and forth at her and snorted, then looked to his left, eyeing the pack there.

'Hmm! Let me see what I can do.' She shifted the items in the offending pack, putting the smoother sided ones nearer his flank and the odd shaped ones to the outside. 'And now?' she asked, when she had finished. He shook himself once again and took a few steps. Then with a whinny and a light step, he led her out the door of the stable and to the crowd waiting in the yard.

Olo had not yet appeared. Holly stood leaning against Peri and surveyed the group. Volondil had been right, many more travellers had joined them, trusting to strength in numbers.

A lone Hobbit caught her eye,standing not too far from Gandalf. Leaving the pony to forage in the sparse grass at the side of the courtyard, she walked toward her, and tapped her lightly on the shoulder.

'Begging your pardon, Miss,' she said as the startled Hobbit turned to face her. She held out her hand in greeting. 'It's good to see another Hobbit among the travelling companions. That is, I assume you are going with Gandalf when he leaves.' She looked questioningly at the still startled Hobbit, and laughed. 'I'm sorry. Where are my manners! The name is Holly, and I'll be going down the road with this group at least as far as Tharbad.' Peri had, by that time, wandered over to where Holly stood and now nudged her in the back for attention. 'And this,' she said, laughing once again as she drew him up beside her, 'is my dear companion, Periwinkle.'

The pony stepped forward and nudged the unsuspecting Hobbit in the arm, then blew out a gentle, hay scented breath at her. He stepped back and stamped his front hoof once in approval.

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]