View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 04:58 PM   #49
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel turned to Estelarion as they moved along.

"We seem to be joined by many musicians on this journey. We will have to give up some of our time, I feel."

"Give up our time? Nay, it was never ours to begin with," Estelarion said, "And I am sure that you will have plenty of time to use your voice along the way."

"That comment," Menelduliniel said quietly, referring to the anonymous companions questioning of Eirian, "Was certainly not very nice...to any of us."

Estelarion chuckled. "Menelduliniel, I am sure that they meant no harm by it. I guess it is somewhat odd for bards to engage in adventuring. Although, none on this sojourn are merely bards."

"What do you mean?" Menelduliniel asked.

"I do not know," Estelarion admitted, "But I think that the Fates would not give us anyone that would not be of any use to the party. And Gandalf would not bring them into danger either."

"Ah," Menelduliniel said, absentmindedly. She turned and went to Eirian.

"Why, what has upset that bird in the tree?" wondered Eirian, as Menelduliniel approached. "It shrieks as if someone had robbed its nest."

"What bird?" Menelduliniel asked in a friendly tone.

"There," Eirian said, pointing.

Menelduliniel looked, "Ah. I am sure it is nothing."

She saw no others looking at it curiously.

"No, it is nothing," Menelduliniel said, "The others would have sensed something. The people here that I am familiar with would have noticed something greatly out of the question and would have pointed it out, had it been a threat."

"Ah," Eirian said, still not looking completely sure, "And what, may I ask, is your name?"

"I am Menelduliniel," Menelduliniel said, smiling, "And what are referred to as?"

"Eirian," Eirian replied, "And what do you mean 'referred to'?"

"Well," Menelduliniel sighed, "Many here conceal their identity for their own reasons."

"Do you?" Eirian asked.

"Nay, I am not ashamed of my name. I suppose I have reason to, but I am not. Well, I am proud to have met you, Eirian. May your experience with us be worth your time."

"Thank you," Eirian said, "May it be the same for you."

Menelduliniel turned and fell back in step with Estelarion.

"So?" Estelarion asked, "What was that about?"

"We do not meet as many females as I would like on the road," Menelduliniel shrugged, "Far too many men control the roads. Do not blame me for wanting to speak with those of my own gender. Anyway, I still must keep my eyes open for a woman for you!"

Estelarion laughed and they walked on, listening to conversation around them, as they frequently enjoyed doing...