View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 05:17 PM   #264
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The kitchen was silent for a while as Lespheria sorted through what Vanwe had at last revealed, and also what she had not. The crackle of the fires seemed a little loud in that silence. Vanwe was both tired and on edge. Her thoughts were greasy, slipping around as she tried to sort through their tangle. She settled with the realisation that she needed another candle. It was simple and achievable and she was pleased to be able to do it. Never mind that the candle would hold back some darkness, should Kaldir haunt it. Never mind that there was a darkness in him and also her than a candle was little use against. Vanwe pushed up from her stool.

"I have kept you so long. Truly, all my thanks and my apologies, Lady Lespheria. I will not try your good will or patience again as I have this night," Vanwe said in a quiet voice. Painfully aware that she had no right to intrude as she already had, she curtsied.

Head bowed, Vanwe retrieved a candle from the pantry and toyed with the urge to remain there. She narrowly tossed it aside and emerged to face Lespheria again.

"I owe you much, and will do all I can to return your generosity. I am lost in this world, but not without anything to offer," she said with a faint smile. All Vanwe had to do is determine what that was. Lespheria watched the Elf maiden leave the kitchen, some riddles answered and more not. Vanwe looked around the commonroom at a mix of faces that were now familiar and some that were not.

Benia had arrived, and sat with Gilly, Vanwe mustered another smile for both, another swirl of thoughts breezing through her mind. Unlike Kaldir, Vanwe had sensed no lingering shadow within Benia. She was not the danger that Vanwe had thought her to be earlier. Still, not all was clear about the woman from the South. No matter how much Vanwe might wished to have known more, she remembered her place. Benia was far above her station, and a mere ward with the shame of defying her masters and leaving had no place to question Benia.

Vanwe bowed, something she could rightfully do, to Benia and rose to meet Gilly's openly curious stare. All this secrecy, Vanwe thought, how lonely it can be. Her respects paid as they should be, Vanwe set her candle to another to light it and walked to the front of the inn. Once outside, she was reluctant to approach the stables. She stood, holding a candle, and gazed at the building.

Sooner or later she'd have to go back. Vanwe walked down the steps and stood in the yard that the mathom sale had filled only hours ago. The horse hitched to the post swished her tail at her in reproach. Vanwe looked at it guiltily. By rights she should have stabled it by now. Yet, she would not just yet. Not until she was sure she was able to stand as she may need to do in that stable.

Vanwe looked skyward again, and caught the movement of another. She held Silvanis' gaze a moment and then looked back at the stable. Feeling exposed in the open yard, Vanwe walked away towards the well, candle a bright spot in her hand that cast a gentle light over her telltale hair. She looked back once, over her shoulder, towards Silvanis. She reached the well and set her candle upon the stone rim.

"Stand, not run," she whispered to the well as she wound a strand of hair around her fingers and waited either for her courage to return or Silvanis to follow.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight