View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003, 07:32 PM   #74
Ealasaid
Wight

Ealasaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

CHANI

Chani spat the glove out as soon as Khasia turned to walk away. "You're very brave when your victim is bound to a tree," she sneered at the girl's retreating back. Her tribe was a warrior tribe, not basketweavers like the Baobab. She had been raised to use a sword since she was a small child and her pride had not been merely wounded by the other girl's insults... it had been outraged. The impulse she had felt a moment earlier to see if she might be allowed to join the group and escape her planned marriage to Yusef evaporated like a raindrop on hot stone. She knew that she could never follow these people, never join them. Where was their honor? If they planned to kill her, at least she could honor her family and die with dignity like a true Painted Sand woman. She raised her chin in defiance.

"How are you with a sword, basketweaver?" she demanded.

Silence fell across the camp as Khasia stopped in her tracks. Her back stiffened.

"You may scare these children, but you don't scare me," Chani finished calmly. All of the uncertainty she had felt earlier vanished in the face of the anger she felt at the dishonor these two girls, Jasara and Khasia, had dared to inflict upon her with their spitting and their dirty gloves. She was the daughter of Ishak bin Ishak, chief of the Painted Sand tribe. Who were they? And what had she done to incur their disdain? Nothing. Nothing but happen upon them by mistake. Their arrogance would have been comical if it weren't so infuriating.

Khasia turned back to face her, her eyes blazing. Chani met her gaze, eye to eye, her dark eyes smouldering with anger.

"How dare you speak to me with such disdain when you are the one tied to the tree," Khasia hissed, conscious of the eyes of all the camp watching her. "You should watch your mouth."

"You should behave more civilly to your guests," Chani answered. "Not like a coward and a bully. Yes, I am the one tied to a tree, but I would die before I inflicted a stranger, who had committed no sin against me, with such insults." Behind her back, Chani's fingers continued to work at the shredding fiber of the rope. She didn't trust any of them. The same madness that had taken Fouad had obviously taken hold of them. The sooner she freed her hands, the better.

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaid ]