View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #383
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Helen,

I know this is not personal. No offense taken. But I see serious problems in what you are suggesting.

In my mind, an rpg is a seemless web. Even if people edited the ten posts, you'd still have the ripple effect. You pull one thread in an rpg and others go out of line. When you make "ten minor edits" in posts that amount to a total change in the profile for two characters (Frodo and Bilbo), you potentially affect all the other people who play off of you.

This is not an academic question for me, since I play Bilbo. This whole suggested revision affects Bilbo as much as Frodo. In my mind, I would need to do massive reconstruction of my character, going all the way back to the beginning posts in Tol Eressea. Let me cite an example. If Bilbo had come to the Shire under some vow of secrecy, he would never have driven a pony cart to see Amaranthas in broad daylight, nor would he be setting up a party in Bag-end. If fact, it is highly unlikely that he'd be sitting out in front of the Inn smoking a pipe. Bilbo is a shrewd hobbit. He would obviously be inside taking cover. This concept of an alias would change every single action that my character has taken in the entire RPG. His whole mindset, the way he was thinking would be totally different. If I make the required changes, the entire story will be gutted.

I still don't understand how an alias would help. I understand how Frodo could use an alias in Bree where no one knew him. But almost all of the inhabitants of Hobbiton know Frodo and Bilbo by sight. They would simply recognize them. The fact they were trying to come back "incognito" would rouse more suspicion rather than less. You would have to have Lorien change the physical appearance of the hobbits as well in order to hide them. Otherwise an alias is not believable.

I have no problem with Lorien's mist of curtain, but don't know how others feel about that. Nor do I have a problem with Bird's suggestion that there be more response in the Shire to Bilbo and Frodo's arrival. I think that would be very realistic, and wish someone would take her up on that.

BTW, I will not be on the computer a lot over the weekend. We are at home but have an extraordinary number of commitments that will keep me from posting. If possible, can this be hammered out today?

sharon

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]