View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #384
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Sharon,

I didn't think they'd be so recognizeable-- except to their close friends-- because for one thing, they're supposed to be gone. Look how long it took people to recognize the returning war heroes, and Bilbo after the quest of Erebor.

And for another, they **have** been gone-- Frodo for twelve years. Bilbo has been gone for-- (math, math, math...) thirty-plus years. AND he's aged hugely since anybody in the Shire has seen him. Remember he looked fifty years old when he left the Shire at age eleventy-one, because he was carrying the Ring til that point, and now he looks 130-- or, actually, 140.

50 yrs to 130/140 yrs is a big, big change. And nobody is expecting Bilbo anymore; why would they recognize him? I think he could traipse around calling himself "Gaffer Underhill" with complete impugnity, and his friends in the know would have fun playing along. Amaranthus would eat it up. Gaffer Underhill could smoke in public anywhere he pleased and go wherever he wished.

"Visiting Gaffer Underhill" is very believeable for me. And Frodo could have found a way to blend in, of that I feel certain.

But-- Okay. As I've said in this thread once before....

"Uncle."

I can go with Lorien's mist if that's what you want.

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]