View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child's post

Frodo said his farewells to Maura and Cami on the doorstep of the Dragon, promising that he and Bilbo would see them later that afternoon. Then, the couple detoured around to the rear of the Inn, hoping to inquire if Gilly or Cook had recently seen the boys. They found the two hobbits hard at work in the back alley. They were stacking a series of steaming plates and dishes and platters onto a cart parked just outside the gate. Ruby climbed up into the wagon and, after a quick nod to Cami, flicked the reins over the pony's rear to urge him forward. In an instant the cart trundled noisily off and disappeared.

Cook spun about and crooked one finger under Cami's nose. "Whatever are you doing?" She cast a hasty glance at Maura, pretending he wasn't there, since many Shire residents consider it an omen of ill fortune for the groom to see the bride on the wedding day before the exchange of vows. Cook pulled Cami aside and whispered pointedly in her ear, "What's he doing? Why aren't you dressed yet? If you don't get ready, they'll have your wedding without you."

Cook finally raised her voice so even Maura could hear, "Anyways, it's a good thing you've dropped by. Your party dress is upstairs in Pio's cupboard. She told me to let you in whenever you came by."

Cami replied calmly, "I haven't had time to get ready yet. We have some family business to untangle."

"Family business? What might that be? Surely it can wait till after the wedding."

Cook fixed a keen eye on Cami, but the bride-to-be remained stubbornly silent, staring down at her toes and offering the simplest of explanations, "I promise to get dressed as soon as we've spoken with our sons. Just tell me where they are, and all this will go quickly."

Cook started a bit at Cami's mention of "our sons". It was the first time she'd heard the hobbit refer to her boys that way. "Gamba? That scamp and his brothers? I believe they're helping Hob curry and feed the horses. They were here a little while ago. Those no-goods stole every last carrot out of my pantry."

Cami smiled slightly at Cook's indignant words. However thoughtless or possessive Gamba was, the lad had a soft heart for animals and any other creature in need who happened across his path. Cami thanked Cook and was about to leave, when she caught a glimpse of Gilly bustling through the door.

"Gilly, wait." Cami beckoned to Pio's nursemaid. "I have something for Piosenniel. It's a gift."

"More booties, Miz Cami?" Gilly queried, since Cami had become quite famous for the prodigious number of booties she had knitted.

"Not this time." She handed Gilly a square quilt block elaborately embroidered with colorful yarn that depicted the Elf with her babies at the front door of Bag-end. "Could you put this on the table with the other presents for the twins? I'm afraid I'll be late arriving. Pio will know who it's from and what it's for."

Gilly nodded absentmindedly and stuffed the handiwork deep inside her pocket, as Cami and Maura walked off together in the direction of the stables.

Cami tightened her grip on Maura's hand as she approached the courtyard where the boys were helping feed and curry the horses. Even from down the pathway, she could hear the excited giggles of Ban and little Maura as they drew up buckets of water from the well.

"You're sure this is right for us?" Cami murmured to Maura.

"Very sure. My father once taught me 'The task that takes the longest is the one you never start.'"

Cami smiled. Some things never changed with hobbits.

Then, Maura gently embraced his wife and held her close to him. "Just stay calm and say what's in your heart. We don't know what will come of this. But, unless we try to pass on what we believe in, we will have failed as parents, even if we give the boys a home."

With this, they pushed open the gate to the courtyard, and went inside. Asta came darting up to Maura to share a treasured stone he'd found by the river. Ban climbed up on his mother's knee for a tickle and a hug. Maura gave a respectful nod to Gamba, then called the boys together to sit and talk.

"It's about the wedding, isn't it?" Roka piped up. You and Maura are getting married today. And we all get to go to a party."

Cami nodded her head and smiled, "Yes, we've talked about this before. Maura and I have already made promises to each other in front of Eru. Now we want to share those with you and our friends."

"But it's not just Maura and I. It's you too. We want to be a family. One family." Cami looked around the circle. "Myself and Maura, Gamba, Asta, Roka, Ban, Little Maura, Holly and Rose as well as our other little one who's on the way. You mean more to us than anything in the world."

Maura looked at the boys and tried to explain in simple words. "I hope that I will be able to come to you in Greenwood."

"Will you come for sure? Gamba countered.

Maura looked him straight in the face, "I will not lie to you. I do not know what is possible. But we have hope. And I will not stop trying."

"But, whether or not I'm there, you are my sons and I'm proud of you. This afternoon, in the ceremony at Bag-end, I would like us to make some promises to try and treat each other with respect and love. Your mother and I have spoken about our hopes for our family. Sometime, in Greenwood, she or I may ask you to do some things differently because we believe it will help us grow as a family. That won't always be easy, not for you or for us."

"But today, we just have to make a promise that we will try to love and care for each other, and work through the good times and the bad."

"How about it boys?"

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]