View Single Post
Old 06-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #10
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio's post

Sam’s boys, Merry and little Pippin scurried into the parlour and commandeered the footstool from its place in front of highbacked chair. Intent on getting it wrangled safely down the long hall, they did not see their Father come out of the kitchen door as they passed by.

‘Here! What’s this!’ he cried with mock ferocity. ‘Does your Mother know you’ve hijacked a piece of furniture from her parlour?’ The two bandits plunked down the stool on the hardwood floor and turned to face him, their faces red from the exertion of trying to manage the unwieldy cargo. Little Pip put his hand on his hips and stared up exasperated at his Father.

‘Now look what you’ve done, Papa! We almost had it to the door!’

Merry-lad stepped forward, shushing his brother. ‘Mother asked us to fetch it, Papa. Mistress Piosenniel’s leg is hurting, and we’re bringing it for her to put it up on.’

‘Well, then,’ said Sam, smiling at his sons, ‘let me be of some service to you.’ He picked up the footstool, nodding to the boys to go ahead of him. ‘Open the doors for me, lads, and lead me out to where Miz Pio is sitting. We’ll get her fixed up soon enough.’ Merry ran ahead to hold the door, while little Pip took hold of his Father’s pant leg and guided him along.

Pio sat in the shade of the sugar maple tree, the babies near her in their basket on a low, sturdy table. There were a number of guests who stood round her, talking softly while the babies slept. It was women, mostly, their men having drifted away to congregate around the casks from the Green Dragon and talk of crops and smoke a pipeful with their peers.

One of the babies had begun to fuss, and several hands darted forth to pick up the little girl and see to her. ‘Peony, you’ve had a turn already, let me hold that baby for a minute!’ A deft pair of hands scooped the tiny bundle from the other Hobbits arms to coo and fuss over her.

‘Would you mind if my wife held the boy, Miz Pio?’ The Elf looked up startled, a slow smile spreading on her face. ‘Halfred Whitfoot! It is so nice to see you here, away from “official” business.’ Halfred reddened a bit and brought his wife forward. ‘Mistress Piosenniel, I would like to introduce my wife to you – Millefoil.’ There was such an obvious affection in the man’s eyes that Pio’s own heart melted toward him. ‘Very pleased to meet the goodwife behind the Shiriff, Miz Millefoil!’ Pio and Millefoil chatted amiably for a few moments, and then the boy began to stir. Millefoil picked him up and held him near. ‘Isn’t he just the darling, Halfred?’ she asked holding the baby out to the Shiriff. ‘He must look just like his Daddy. What a handsome little man.’

Halfred’s brows went up at the mention of Mithadan. ‘Where is he, by the way, Miz Pio?’ he asked, looking about the yard. ‘Not still sick is he?’

‘Mithadan has gone away, on some business, Shiriff. He will be back soon, I think.’

Halfred’s mouth opened to ask another question, but by then the babies had begun to cry, and Pio took them both in her arms. ‘If you good folk will excuse me, I will take the little ones in and get them fed and changed.’ She smiled sweetly at the Shiriff and his wife, and called out over her shoulder as she made for the house. ‘The flowers were lovely Shiriff. Thank you!’

‘Now isn’t she just the sweetest thing, Halfred. And what an attentive mother.’ Her eyes followed the retreating Elf with some wistfulness. ‘Our youngest girl is two now, Halfred. Don’t you think it’s time we had another baby in the house?’ Halfred patted her hand, and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. ‘Best we discuss that at home, dear. Oh look,’ he said, directing her attention to where his brother and his wife stood, ‘let’s go over and see Filibert and Hyacinth.’

Millefoil prattled on about this and that as they walked to where the other couple stood. Halfred, his hand on her elbow, put in the occasion ‘uh hum’ and ‘yes, dear’, but his head was turned to catch the figure of the Elf as she entered Bag End, his brow furrowed in thought. ‘Away on business, is he?’ he thought to himself. ‘And what sort of Big Folk business might that be, I wonder?’

*+*+*+*+*

Halfred left Millefoil in the company of Hyacinth, the two ladies talking warmly about new babies, and poking through the presents that had been left on the table for Pio’s twins. Seeing her so well engaged, he drew quietly away, taking his brother Filibert with him.

‘Mithadan apparently is “away on business”, or so the Elf says.’ Halfred spoke in a low voice, as he led his brother well away from any other party goers. ‘She was very vague about the whole thing.’ Halfred looked round the milling party goers and caught the eye of his two deputies, Milo and Hugo. They raised their mugs of ale to him and smiled.

The smiles left their faces as he motioned them over. ‘You two need to make your excuses to the host. I have something I want you to follow up on.’ Milo and Hugo drained their drinks and listened as Halfred detailed what he wanted them to do and where he wanted them to go. They nodded their heads and setting their now empty mugs on a nearby table made their way to garden gate, pausing only to speak briefly with Sam as they left.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]