View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 01:55 AM   #19
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It was quiet for the most part at Amaranthas’ house as Gilly sat in the large overstuffed rocker in the front room. The little ones were asleep in the second bedroom, and she sat in the dim glow of the hooded candle lantern that stood on the small table by the door, her eyes nearly closed as the rocker swayed slowly back and forth.

The house had been warm when she returned from the party, and stuffy, from being closed up most of the day. Gilly had thrown open all the windows to let in the fresh night breezes, and now she sat dreamily listening to a chorus of nearby frogs play bass line to the fiddle music from the party as the summer night’s sounds drifted in softly from a distance. Only the occasional rasping sound of some insect broke the lulling rhythm.

‘I should go to bed, myself,’ she thought drowsily to herself, ‘but it’s so comfortable here.’ Gilly curled up on the seat of the rocker, drawing her legs up against her, and resting her head on the arm of the chair. Reaching her hand up to the soft woolen shawl draped over the chair’s back, she pulled it down over her, tucking a corner of it under her head as a pillow. Her lashes dropped lower, until they brushed her cheeks, and she fell headlong into dreaming.

The sounds of her soft, slow breathing eased into the cadence of chair’s wooden rockers against the old wood floor.

Squeak . . . squeak . . . . . squeak . . . . . . . squeak . . . . . . .