View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 04:49 PM   #35
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

theWhiteLady's post

The sun had long slipped below the horizon and replaced by a pale moon, when Rose finally reached the outskirts of Hobbiton. The wind whistled in her ears, drowning out all noise except her mount’s pounding hooves and laboured breathing; she began to distractedly wonder how much longer he could keep going. The cold light illuminated the path before them, and lengthened the shadows that stretched over the road. To Rose’s exhausted mind, the shadows seemed to be reaching out with long, groping fingers, intent on slowing her down. The young hobbit shook her head but as her eyes once more swept the road, the shadowy phantom seemed only to evolve into a more menacing shape: a cloaked rider blocking the path. A shaft of moonlight danced upon the keen edge of an unsheathed sword, the steel glittered with deadly brightness. Rose brought up her horse with a gasp, wondering wildly if a barrow had arisen out of old fireside tales; cold chills shook her hot body and it was only her desperate mission that was able to keep her from fleeing.

A moment later, a warm summer wind rustled the trees above, and the shaft of light shifted fitfully from the sword to the rider’s face. Rose realized, with a wave of relief that left her weak, that the foreboding phantom before her was the very person she was seeking: Piosenniel!

“Miss Pio!” Rose cried into the dark. “It’s me, Rose.”

“Rose?” Pio’s voice echoed back with surprise and a hint of skepticism. Suddenly, Rose felt sick once more. She had thought it strange to see her friend out at night, and dressed for battle but now all came clear - what else could be so urgent?

“Their gone, aren’t they? I’m too late,” The young hobbit slid from the saddle and shook with despair.

“How did you know? Do you know where they have been taken?” Pio dismounted and half ran over to her friend. Rose spoke thickly, a lump seemed to have become lodged firmly in the middle of her throat.

“Mithadan told me in Bree,” but Pio interrupted sharply. “Mithadan knew?” Rose hardly noticed the interruption as she struggled to continue.

“Rumor in Bree has it that Ferny has been using the quarries of Scary in the Eastfarthing as a hide out and I had a sneaking suspicion he might be using it to hide the children he’s kidnaped. I don’t know anything for sure though, I was hoping to reach you before they did.” Rose could not keep back the tears.

Pio looked away to the East with a dangerous glint in her eye and Rose knew there would be no mercy for those who had taken her twins. After mounting, the elf glanced at the quivering hobbit below her. “You’ll need to let Samwise know where Ferny might be heading. And thank you, Rose,” she added in a softer tone. The next moment, Pio was gone, galloping furiously towards her twins and the men who had taken them.

Rose also mounted and completed the journey into Hobbiton in a daze. Her head felt light, and her stomach seemed to have dropped down somewhere in the region of her toes. After all her riding and determination to keep Pio’s twins from harm, she had failed. Now, who knew what might happen to them and to their mother?

The green door of Bag End finally appeared with banners draped gaily around and the sound of music floated out an open window. Too weary to wonder what festivity had kept the occupants of the hole up so late, Rose knocked and waited, but her knees shook, and before they could open the door, she had collapsed onto the doorstep.

[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]