View Single Post
Old 07-15-2003, 01:48 PM   #56
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She had hidden Falmar well west of the southern edge of the plantation in a small depression behind a shrubby rise. Untethered, the horse awaited her call, her tail swishing against the small swarms of midges that pestered her when the breeze died down. Pio crept, under cover of darkness, nearer the edge of Ferny’s place, and now lay flattened against the ground in the sparse shadow of some low lying scrub near the fence.

There were no guards at present patrolling this section of the plantation perimeter, as far as she could see or hear. To the east of the cottage and slightly north was another small cottage. The windows to it were open, and she could see numerous shadows pass by between the lamp within and the window itself. Some of the men within were sleeping – the heavy, deep sleep that comes with a long day’s hard work. But most were up and about . . . and drinking, their muddled thoughts betraying their drunken state.

Pio worked her way along the wooden fence. She was thankful that Ferny had been so confident that no one would venture near his enterprise that he had put up the simple, wooden split-rail and post type of fence. It afforded her an unobstructed view of the yard. Nearing a view of the front end of the cottage, she froze as she heard the sound of heavy steps on the wooden porch and voices.

‘We’re havin’ a little get together up in Shifty’s cabin. Got us a keg of ale in from the Pony. You want to join us?’ The lewdness of the drunken man’s intentions came through clearly, and Pio stifled a laugh as he went tumbling over the porch railing and sprawled on the ground.

‘Out of here, you scurvy dog!’ came the strident tones of Bird, a wooden chair held out before her, its legs pointing menacingly at the downed man. ‘I oughta break this over your thick head. Who’s gonna watch the brats if I leave? The little Shire rats would be gone in the blink of an eye if I left ‘em alone for a minute.’ She glared down at the drunk. ‘Then who wants to tell Stoatie and Ferny their precious cargo has flown the coop?’ Bird heaved the chair down at the man as he scrambled to his feet, and watched as he staggered off, muttering a few remarks on her lineage.

Pio kept her head down as several more men wandered through the yard, one on his way to the sheds behind the cottage, the other drawing near to the fence to relieve himself. When the two had finished their business Pio raised her head again and pushed herself under the rails of the fence, careful to avoid the stinking puddle to her left. Approaching the side of the cottage nearest her, she tried the windows, but they were nailed shut from the outside.

Nothing to do but go in through the front door.

She crept up to the door and knocked softly on it, then retreated off to the side of the porch. The door to the cottage flew open, and a small shaft of light from the lantern within knifed into the darkness. Bird growled out a warning for whoever it was to get out and quit bothering her. ‘I’ll give you a taste of my stick if you come any closer,’ she hissed, slapping the stout stick on the porch railing.

‘Try it and I’ll cut it from your fingers before you can bring it down,’ came the low, familiar voice back to her. Startled, Bird lowered the stick, her eyes searching the shadows. ‘Pio?’ Bird shut the door to block the light, throwing the porch into darkness. ‘Yes, I am over here, at the end of the porch,’ came the whispered reply.

Pio climbed quickly up and over the railing, crouching down in the corner and pulling Bird down beside her. She quickly went over the plans to rescue all the children, assuring Bird that Mithadan and some Shire folk would be here soon, bringing mounts enough to get the children away. ‘You and Gilly must be ready to bring them out quickly once I come for you.’ She drew a knife from her boot. ‘Here, give this to her. Tell her to be ready to use it.’

The twins began to fuss as she spoke with Bird. And on impulse, she rose to go to them. But Bird grabbed her by the arm and pulled her back down. ‘Someone is coming,’ she hissed at her friend. ‘Stay down, I’ll see to it,’ said Bird. Pio drew her blade and held it in readiness.

‘Ya wouln’t come to the party, so we’ve brought it to you!’ The drunken voice of a different man spoke out from the yard, his words slurring. ‘Lock those brats in and come out here and join us for a round.’ She could see him wave an overflowing tankard in Bird’s direction. ‘And don’t tell me you need to watch them – they’ll be alright for a while . . . and besides, they’ll all be dead once Ferny gets back. We won’t need ‘em no more.’ A number of other soused agreements were thrown out by the others who had come, following the keg.

‘Let me just lock the door, then, Shifty’ replied Bird, seeming to acquiesce to the party mood. ‘ And let’s move the celebration further from the cottage. I don’t want the wailing from the little mongrels to spoil my drinking.’

Pio relaxed, sheathing her sword, and slipped off the side of the porch as they left. Glancing regretfully at the locked cottage, she made her way back to where she had hidden Falmar. Her fingers twitched at the thin loop of cord she had coiled at her belt. She had marked well the face and voice of the man who said the children would be dead. Shifty, Bird had called him . . .

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

She shook her dark thoughts from her, and reached out for the twins. Gilly must have calmed them – they slept fitfully, half on the edge of hunger and exhaustion. She fought the urge to steal only them away, leaving the others behind.

I am here, little ones.

She whispered softly to them, nudging their dreams to a pleasant place, rocking them gently in her thoughts . . .

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]