View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 10:33 PM   #84
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

With the exception of her mistake in telling Miz Rose that her unborn child would be a girl, Pio felt her talk with Rose and Angelica had gone well. Both Rose and Cami seemed to place a lot of confidence in Angelica, though Pio had noted a decided undercurrent of nervousness and doubt that ran through the Hobbit at times. She left the three of them to talk with one another, and went back to her seat at the window table with Amaranthas.

‘Cat got your tongue, missy?’ said the old Hobbit gently, as she watched Pio gaze out the window at the starry sky, her brow creased in thought.

Pio turned back to Amaranthas and told her about the change in plans for midwives. ‘What do you know about this Angelica Muddyfoot,’ she asked her. ‘And have you heard of Peony Muddyfoot? She is going to be her assistant.’ Amaranthas cackled at the Elf’s questions. ‘Never thought one of the Fair Folk could be so nervous about anything. I had always heard that ice water ran in your veins.’ Pio laughed and shook her head. ‘No, we bleed the same warm, red blood as you do. I merely want to make sure I bleed as little as possible.’ She fixed Amaranthas with her eyes. ‘Now, come on. I know you are dying to tell me all sorts of things about these two.’

‘Get me a glass of that outland brew and I’ll tell you what you need to know.’ Amaranthas had heard that the ale from Stock was of the finest in that section of the Shire and since it was unlikely she would be traveling to The Golden Perch to taste it for herself, she thought to have a glass of it brought to her. She took a good mouthful of it once Pio had set it before her and her eyes lit up with pleasure. ‘Not bad! Not bad at all!’ was her final judgment as she drained the half pint and set the mug down squarely in front of the Elf, her finger tapping on the rim of it. ‘One more, just to sip on, and I’ll tell you about the two women. Pio laughed, wondering if she would have to carry the tiny Hobbit back to her rooms once this night was over.

‘Not much to say about Angelica. She’s a Baggins, you know.’ began Amaranthas. ‘She’ll stand you in good stead as a midwife. Frets a lot, but that’s more because she likes to get things done exactly right, and not because she’s not confident. She used to just fret about her looks, vain some would have called her in her youth, but now that fretting about being perfect has spilled over into everything she does.’
Pio’s brows went up at this assessment. ‘Oh, but not to the point of not being able to follow through on things,’ assured Amaranthas. ‘She just likes to be thorough.’

‘Now Peony, she’s an interesting one. The youngest child of Otho and Aldarida Brown Muddyfoot. Five children in that family. Merimac, Angelica’s husband is the second. Good folk, the Muddyfeet, from Michel Delving. Calm.’

‘Peony’s thirty-eight. Independent as the day is long. Says she’ll never get married, but between us I think it’s just that she hasn’t been asked yet. Take a strong man to win her approval. She’s bold and speaks her mind, though always in a kind way if she can. She’s very confident in herself. She was Angelica’s midwife for Madoc, and also for Melilot Tunnelly. Why, if I were having babies,’ and at this the old Hobbit wheezed out a dry laugh, ‘she’d be the one I wanted to deliver them!’ Pio sighed in relief. ‘Then it appears I have a good team. Thank you for filling me in.’

Amaranthas put a hand on Pio’s arm. ‘Yes, you’ll be fine with those two. And you’d better tell Hob to come get me in the cart, dearie. Old Amaranthas wouldn’t miss this for the world!’ Pio smiled at her and leaning across the table gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. Amaranthas had gone back to sipping on her ale, her quick, dark eyes darting about the room at all the merriment.

Pio turned her attention to the night sky beyond the window. Wilwarin hovered brightly in the sky. The sounds of the party flowed over her, leaving her untouched as she wondered where her beloved slept this night.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]