View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #90
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Amaranthas sat down with a satisfied thud on her chair. She had danced in the springle-ring, holding on to the hands of Master Merry and Master Pippin! Her old feet had flown round the floor, and her steps had been light and sure, as if some gentle hand supported her tired old bones. A wide grin wrinkled her tiny face, and she nudged Pio, drawing her attention from the night sky. ‘Pour me a cup of wine, Miz Pio! My throat’s as dry as a burnt piece of toast after all that singing.’

A bright light glinted from her eyes and gnarled fingers tapped out the rhythms she had just danced to. ‘Aboslutely amazing, you know,’ she continued, after a few sips. ‘I don’t know half those songs we sang, but somehow the words just came to me. I haven’t felt this young for an age it seems.’

Her eyes lit on Tom, sitting at a table with that other fellow, Lorien. ‘Just who is that?’ she asked, pointing at him as he laughed merrily at something Lorien had said. ‘And isn’t she a pretty one, and so graceful and quick.’ She gazed at Goldberry, now standing near Cami.

‘The Elves have a name for him, Iarwain Ben-adar, Oldest and Fatherless.' said Pio. 'Though, I think even that naming does not capture him. He’s just Tom, Tom Bombadil, here with his pretty lady. Goldberry, the River-daughter.’ She smiled at Amaranthas, who waited expectantly for more. ‘He is,’ she said softly to the Hobbit, ‘and she is with him.’

Amaranthas snorted at this Elvish talk, but seeing that she was to get no more from Pio, sat back comfortably in her chair and sipped her wine.

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]