View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 AM   #145
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami watched the sunlight reflect off the water and break into a hundred tiny shimmering rainbows. She dangled her feet over the side of the bank and let the cool water slide over her toes. Her arms and back ached from all the hard scrubbing she had done. More than that, her mind felt as if it was running in circles.

Cami looked out across the pond, careful to avoid Frodo's eyes, uncertain how to begin. "I don't mean to drag you into this. I imagine you've got enough to worry about with Sam and Bilbo."

"And I am conerned about Bilbo myself. He has done this for me from the goodness of his heart. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. And I'm afraid he'll be very upset when he hears what's happened to Lorien."

"You know, he doesn't seem so bad this morning. Lorien, I mean."

Frodo looked at her and smiled. He could remember one or two nights in his own past when he would have had trouble answering questions, either coherently or gently, if someone had shouted in his ear to awaken him.

"Only I don't know what to do. Lorien has given me a choice. To accept, or not to accept. And even if I accept, he says I still must decide how to arrange things."

"How will you choose, Cami?" Frodo asked.

"I'm not sure, but Lorien gave me a letter from Maura." She patted her belt. "I promised myself I'd read it later. Tonight, in private. I expect that will decide whether I say yes or no. But there's still the question of whether it might not be best if we went off on our own. Maybe it would be better not to involve any of our friends or kin."

Cami looked over to Frodo with heartfelt eyes, "Frodo, how did all this come about? I'm not like you. I only wanted a quiet life and a home, maybe a few books to read, a husband to love, and children to teach. But it's not turned out like that. I can accept that, but I never expected my choices to fall on my friends as well."

"Last night, with Pio....she only meant to protect me." Cami's voice trailed off.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]