View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 12:40 AM   #273
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Mayor Sam," Cami interjected. "The part that's making me nervous is how those two children were kidnapped in the Eastfarthing. It's one thing having bandits who want to rob us or vandalize our homes. But, it's something else entirely to have them threaten our little ones."

Cami glanced at the toddler who had fallen sound asleep and was now draped over Maura's shoulder. They had brought the girl with them, since neither she nor Maura felt comfortable letting Holly out of their sight. In this, they were little different than others in Bywater and Hobbiton. There were a great many hobbit children scattered about the room. The older ones played quietly along the side, while their younger brothers and sisters drifted off to sleep, either in their parents' arms or curled up by their feet.

Miz Rose responded quickly, "I agree, Cami. Our most important job is safeguarding the youngsters. That comes before anything else. We need to use common sense and keep the children close, especially after nightfall."

"We can't be certain the big folk in Hobbiton are the same ones who kidnapped those other children. But, until someone proves differently, I think we should assume the worst."

"What bothers me is that there are many who aren't at this meeting. They may not even realize what's happened. Perhaps, several of us should get together and pay a visit to those families, warning them to keep a close eye on their little ones until things settle down."

There was a general feeling that Miz Rose's suggestion was a sensible one, and Minta readily agreed to be placed in charge of this project. Almost immediately, a number of women came forward and offered to help her.

It was at this point that Tanta Hornblower lumbered forward and glared fiercely at Cami. "Mistress Minta, I hope you have too much good sense to accept that offer of assistance from Cami Goodchild. It is entirely because of her that this whole difficulty has occurred."

Cami leapt to her feet, striding angrily towards Mistress Hornblower to demand an immediate explanation and apology, but was firmly restrained by a determined squeeze on her arm from Miz Rose. Rose turned to face Cami's accuser. "Mistress Hornblower, I hope you don't mean what I think you do. Cami's friends have come here with letters of conduct from Elessar. Big folk or not, I know Mayor Sam considers them our honored guests." Rose purposely stared at the Shirriff who stood at the back of the assembly, guarding the exit door and wearing a dour expression on his face.

Seeing how things were going, Mayor Sam got to his feet and attempted to steer the discussion in a more productive vein, "Anyone else have ideas on how we can deal with the threat from these bandits, or find out who they are?"

[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]