View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003, 02:27 PM   #405
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

You are an imp, Cami Goodchild!

Pio watched as the smile froze on the Hobbit’s face, a decidedly rabbit-facing-the-snake look coming over her features. The Elf grinned and punched her friend lightly in the shoulder. ‘And I love you for it!’

She beckoned the relieved Hobbit closer and motioned for her to give her a hand up. Pio winced and shook her head as she rose. Leaning on Cami’s shoulder she made her way to the door of her rooms and out to the waiting wagon.

Cami took the driver’s seat with Gilly beside her, and Holly snug on the young Hobbit’s lap. Pio climbed into the back with the twins, sleeping in their basket, on the seat next to her. There would be plenty of room for Bilbo on the front seat of the wagon. The Elf squirmed uncomfortably in her seat, trying to ease the pain in her leg, and the dull headache which had just invaded the space between her eyes.

Bilbo came hurrying from the Inn, eager to go on the outing with the trio. Cami flicked the reins gently on Nettle’s flanks, urging the pony on.

I should have taken a dose of willow-bark powder. Pio thought to herself as they rolled slowly down the Great East Road, nearing the turn north, up Hill Lane. She eased the babies’ basket to the floor of the cart and brought her leg up to rest on the seat. Leaning back against the high side of the cart, Pio rubbed her temples, and closed her eyes against the bright mid-morning light.

Perhaps if I can just sleep a little, I shall feel better by the time we get to Amaranthas’ . . . She loosened the collar of her shirt, and rubbed the back of her hand across her forehead. So hot . . .

Her thoughts trailed off . . .