View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 04:50 PM   #20
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

* * * * * Rhûn Nation * * * * *

Kasteni looked up from his untouched mead to the two soldiers who entered the room. The older one, Lovek, was a warrior familiar to everyone in Ozren. He had held command in the forces of Ozren for almost as long as Kasteni, and the two had stood side-by-side on many battlefields as well as in council rooms. He was feared among their enemies for his effectiveness in battle, and by his troops for his ruthless discipline on the training floor. Mislavini trusted him completely, not seeing the threat to his power that was so obvious to Kasteni.

This one will be safer kept far from the capital. He will prove a valuable asset on the road, and he won’t be able to scheme so far from the Great Captain’s throne that he covets.

The second fighter was also well-known. Khuleln’s family originally came from Khand, far to the south and now threatening war on the Ozren borders. They had emmigrated from that far country when Khuleln was still a boy, but their wealth had ensured he grew up in privileged Ozvalada society. That had inevitably led him to the military where he had served with honor in the devestating campaigns against Dale and Erebor. His distinguished service had earned him a spot in Kasteni's eye, though, and the Chief Advisor had promised his father, a good friend for many years, that he would find a way for Khuleln to distinguish himself further.

This one I can trust.

Kasteni looked impatiently toward the door.

“Perhaps your third man is not in Ozvalda,” said Mislavini, draining his cup and motioning for a servant to fill it again.

“No, my lord, he is here. Just this morning he brought a message from his father concerning the trade routes to the east. I know him, and he would not have left the city so quickly. I don’t belive he is eager to return to his rural home just yet. He’ll be along soon.”

Mislavini sat on his throne and took a long drink from his goblet. He pointed to benches to his left and commanded Lovek and Khuleln to sit.

Kasteni remained standing.

[ September 24, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]