View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 11:58 AM   #3
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well...
Quote:
since the maia resembled men, wouldnt the balrogs just be like men made of shadow and fire?
The maiar didn't necessarily look like men. If i have understood correctly maiar, as valar, could take various forms. Valar choose sometimes wander around in the shape of elves because they liked the form that Eru had given them. But basically valar and maiar were spirits which didn't have any specific appearance. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, I believe I've read somewhere that balrogs resembled men. Or maybe it's better to say they were "man-like" that meaning that they were no beasts like dragons. And I would be willing to think that they were, or at least could become, far greater in size than men. When I first read about the balrog of Moria I somehow imagined him to be, how should I put it...more "vague" in figure, shadowy and such. The movie balrog seemed to me "a bit" coloured but then again of course it had to be made that way! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, this all was probably just pure nonsense again but please bear with me.

Edit: I.S. I didn't notice your post before I had send mine. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]