View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 11:54 PM   #25
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That sounds right to me, Orual, although I haven't seen the quote. For who of the Fellowship could withstand in his mind the force that moved his body against him, and at the same time, urge another to stop him. Frodo's strength of mind is incredible at Mount Doom, when he feels his hand moving towards the Ring and he manages to tell Sam to stop him, even as he is being utterly physically controlled. I am more impressed with Frodo every time I read of his struggles with the Ring, but it is difficult to think through what another would have done in his place.

Sam was a follower, yes, but he was not only steadfast, he was persistent. Frodo would have perished if not for Sam; It is hard to say what Sam would do if he were bereft of Frodo, for it is his love of Frodo that keeps him going on the Quest. Would the memory keep him going? Hard to say.

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”