View Single Post
Old 01-24-2001, 06:58 AM   #11
Taimar
Spirit of the Downfallen West

Taimar has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of the Downfallen West
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Imladris

A couple of brief points regarding Elrond. The quote Lindil mentioned about the `might of Elrond lying in wisdom rather than weapons` is from the Council of Elrond. IIRC Boromir was the speaker. This quote is open to interpretation, but IMO it refers to not merely to Elrond individually but rather to the resources at his command.

I also recall Gandalf stating that `even Aragorn and Glorfindel together could not withstand all the Nine at once`(or words to that effect). This suggests that on an individual basis, Aragorn and Glorfindel were considerably more powerful than the Nazgul. It is difficult to be sure of these things, but I would guess that, given his lineage, Elrond would be `mightier` than either of those two. When combined with the Noldorin members of his household, I reckon that there would more than enough raw power in Rivendell to deal with any `supernatural` assault by the Sauron`s forces, short of an appearance by the Dark Lord himself.

I`d also like to echo the point raised by Tar-Elenion, Lindil. What grounds do you have for supposing that there is a link between Elrond`s possession of Vilya and his power over the river? I may be wrong, but I don`t recall any supportive evidence from the books. The powers of the Three seem closely linked to their associated element, eg Gandalf`s mastery of fire was no doubt aided by his possession of Narya. The incident involving Galadriel`s fog mentioned earlier in the thread also highlights this. Since Elrond possessed the Ring of Air, I don`t see how it would confer upon the wielder power over water.

</p>