View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't remember any physical strife between Galadriel & Feanor in UT, but what I think you are speaking of is the "hair" incident. The experts may have to check my facts and fill in some blanks here, I've only read UT once, but I'll do my best to explain.

Based on Feanor's cold relationship with his half-brothers, Fingolfin and Finarfin (Galadriel's father), Galadriel has no love for Feanor and she does not take pains to hide this fact. Feanor is however, enamoured of her beautiful, golden hair. He eventually asks her for a strand of hair which he would like to use in the making of a jewel. She refuses him outright, and it is a cause of humiliation to Feanor. Thus perpetuating the rift between Feanor's line and that of his half-brothers.

At the Kinslaying at Alqualonde, Galadriel and her company take up arms to defend the Teleri (her mother's people) against the host of Feanor. I do not remember Galadriel and Feanor having any direct clash during this conflict. But, perhaps that happened, anyone?