View Single Post
Old 05-23-2002, 07:32 PM   #10
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nar, your interpretation of Tom Bombadil as a subtle vehicle for Illuvatar is very interesting and perceptive.

I agree that your interpretation perhaps goes beyond what we might expect from Tolkien, but I think you are onto something. Exciting stuff!

The section with Tom, along with the episode of the 'hooded figure' that appears to the three members of the fellowship the night before Gandalf returns, are very mysterious. I wonder if a more interventionist editor might have questioned Tolkien on their inclusion before publication, in which case we might have more clues from the author himself. The slightly Biblical allusion suggested by the hooded figure and Gandalf's resurrection, can perhaps be effectively rationalised IF one accepts your reading of Tom Bombadil.

Rather than an explicitly allegorical reference to Christianity (in either case), which is very unsatisfactory (cf. earlier debates here), we may in fact be witnessing a most oblique intervention by Illuvatar - in both cases. Clearly it is 'his will' that Gandalf returns from 'death', so the apparition may be a glimpse of hope or change of fortune to the fellowship, who are by then thoroughly demoralised. And, as I said, your reading of Tom Bombadil as a 'literal metaphor' - mysterious, somehow disinterested, and yet utterly Good and nourishing - is compelling. Indeed, Tom's rescue of the hobbits from the barrow-wights is in fact necessary in order for the defeat of the Nazgul at Pellenor.

There are contradictions - but even Tom's nostalgic references to "times past" can be read as an observer rather than participant. Though you could argue for him as one of the Valar ... the Eldest (Manwe) ?

Fascinating! Akin to a moment of epiphany, Nar, my compliments [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Peace
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote