View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
Well, this is rather strange. Not sure if I agree with it, however. While I don't know much about Asperger's Syndrome, I will say a few things.

Quote:
They are seen as eccentric by their own peer group.
Bilbo is considered eccentric by other hobbits mainly because he went out on that grand adventure with thirteen dwarves and Gandalf. That's not exactly something a hobbit would typically do.

Frodo, on the other hand, was not noted to start becoming eccentric until after Bilbo left, when he inherited the Ring. Maybe the eccentricity could be attributed to that (and likely, it can be).

Quote:
Frodo seems to be more serious than his Hobbit companions & his language is slightly more formal than theirs.
This is because Frodo is very well-educated, as mentioned in LOTR; he says several times that Bilbo taught him things about languages and cultures that no other hobbits would know.

Quote:
Frodo is vulnerable to certain types of influences which don't really affect the other Hobbits. Early on in the book, he dreams of Gandalf's capture at Isengard & also of his journey from the Grey Havens, before he actually knows about these things. There are several conditions in which one is more prone to psychic or spiritual experiences: Asperger's is one of these....
There is one major thing that sets Frodo apart from the other hobbits: he is the Ring-bearer, and as such, he has the ability to sense the other Ring-bearers. Recall this quote from the book:

Quote:
'I would ask one thing before we go,' said Frodo, 'a thing which I often meant to ask Gandalf in Rivendell. I am permitted to wear the One Ring: why cannot I see all the others and know the thoughts of those that wear them?'

'You have not tried,' she (Galadriel) said. 'Only thrice have you set the Ring upon your finger since you knew what you possessed. Do not try! It would destroy you. Did not Gandalf tell you that the rings give power according to the measure of each possessor? Before you could use that power you would need to become far stronger, and to train your will to the domination of others. Yet even so, as Ring-bearer and as one that has borne it on finger and seen that which is hidden, your sight is grown keener. You have perceived my thought more clearly than many that are accounted wise. You saw the Eye of him that holds the Seven and the Nine. And did you not see and recognize the ring upon my finger?'
Galadriel has told Frodo that, as Ring-bearer, he has the power to sense and see others who also wear Rings of Power: Gandalf is one of these.

And I have to admit that I do not recall where Frodo dreams of his journey from the Grey Havens. Could you give me a citing?

Quote:
Frodo does not seem to form attatchments in the same way as others....
Of course he doesn't; unlike other hobbits, he's in the possession of something that, if fallen into the wrong hands, could completely destroy / enslave the world!

Though, now that I think about it, he DID seem to form a close relationship with Sam...

Quote:
But at the same time, both Bilbo & Frodo are 'outsiders' who find it difficult to make emotional connections with other people.
As mentioned above, both Bilbo and Frodo are the only two hobbits to ever possess the Ring; this could have something to do with their eccentricity.

Quote:
Certainly, he was an Introvert, & his 'inner' life was more significant than what went on around him - which I think does come through in Bilbo & Frodo.
I'm not sure about his "inner life," as you put it, but strangely enough, most writers are introverts (at least, the ones I've encountered, though you do have abberations).

Quote:
On a personal note, I'm much the same, & I wonder if this is something others share. Is the Legendarium something that appeals more to Introverts (with AS or not!).
While I don't have AS, I am admittedly an introvert, and I thoroughly enjoy the entire Legendarium.
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote