View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love many of the chapter titles. Have you noticed that the first chapter of LotR, "A Long-Expected Party," harkens back to the first chapter of The Hobbit, "An Unexpected Party"? Also Chapter 6 of Book VI of RotK, "Many Partings," is like Chapter 1 of Book II of FotR, "Many Meetings."
Tolkien does things like that all through the books. Three times, once in each of the books, he mentions something about Aragorn having a star on his head. In FotR, in "Fog on the Barrow-downs," the hobbits
Quote:
had a vision as it were of a great expanse of years behind them, like a vast shadowy plain over which there strode shapes of Men, tall and grim with bright swords, and last came one with a star on his brow.
In TTT, in "The Riders of Rohan,"
Quote:
For a moment it seemed to Legolas that a white flame flickered on the brows of Aragorn like a shining crown.
And in RotK, in "The Steward and the King," when Aragorn is crowned,
Quote:
his head was bare save for a star upon his forehead, bound by a slender fillet of silver.
I suppose this is a rather important point rather than being insignificant, but the mentions are so fleeting that I wonder how many people have noticed their parallelisms?
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote