View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 03:56 AM   #7
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
I just LOVE my quote. It is from HOME, and that particular sentence of Huan embedded itself deep in my memory. And also another from HOME,

Quote:
"Speak not thus to me, though mighty of cats you be, for am I not Tinuviel princess of fairies that have stepped out of my way to do thee a favor?"
This one was pretty amusing, more so becuase it was LUTHIEN of all people saying it. She is described remotely, but in this sentences one can really believe that she was a real person. That brings another quote to my mind - though I am not sure if it is right, and I am too lazy to check.

Quote:
"For shame, Father! Here is Beren son of Barahir that you have driven out into the wilderness and to Morgoth with your bitter jesting!"Tinuviel cried, tossing her head, and many of the people marvelled at her new and fearless mood. But Beren said, "Nay, the king thy father hath the right."
Quote:
And the forgotten poet recalled how tall and fair was Eorl the young, when he rode out of the North to the battle of Celebrant.
Quote:
Behold Argonath, the pillars of the kings!
By Aragorn also struck me as wonderful - majestical, somehow.

As well as the poetry in LOTR that few people seem to notice - the poetry by a forgotten poet in Rohan about the battle of Pelennor fields. I was surprised that very few people seemed to notice it.

Quote:
WE heard of the horns ringing in the hills
Sword shining in the south-kingdom
Death in the morning and at day's ending
The lords took and lowly, long now they sleep
under grass, in Gondor, by the great river
Grey now as tears, gleaming silver
REd then it rolled, roaring water
Foam dyed with blood flamed at sunset
And as beacons mountains burned at evening
Red fell the dew in Rammas Echor