View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #15
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
I love the way JRRT phrases things. The less conventional word-orders, for example, as in "Death! they cried, with one voice and terrible". Or, there's a section in RotK, when Pippin's in Minas Tirith (I think it's where Denny's going nuts) and nearly every sentence starts with "and". (aside: I wonder if he was reading Mark's gospel at the time he was writing that?)

I also love the quote, mentioned earlier:

Quote:
... had a vision as it were of a great expanse of years behind them, like a vast shadowy plain over which there strode shapes of Men, tall and grim with bright swords, and last came one with a star on his brow.
Mmmmm... That is such the echo of a song we have not heard, as CS Lewis would say... (would the emoticon for 'joy-in-the-csl-sense' be ?)

2 more to go:

Quote:
The way is shut, his voice said again. It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes. The way is shut.
Quote:
Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor ... from this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end.
Go the italics bits (my italics) which didn't make it to the movies!
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote