View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #69
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

Atharen turned to meet him, leaving Roryn to deal with a rather bewildered librarian. Ferethor spoke in a low voice under the cover of murmur that pervaded the library. ˇ°You say that my task need not be known to you, Atharen, yet you never cease to study me intently, aware of all my deeds. Curious I thought it was, particularly for one who claims to have no ill intent. If you wish to earn my amity and trust, will you not open your mind to me?ˇ±

At that, Atharen spread his hands in a sign of neutrality, but his voice was calm. "As you wish. I did not ask for your errand, but it is easy to guess. You were bidden to join this expedition under assumed name and status, to search out and destroy the renegade Il Garoth. Until that purpose was achieved you were to lend aid upon our journey, ever watchful and vigilant, as a secret sentinel - a bulwark such as Gondor is to the northern countries. I also deem that you have a personal vengeance against him, for your eyes gleam with naked hatred whenever his accursed name is mentioned. Tell me, captain; was this not your mission?"

Ferethor's countenance was darkened with thought as he answered. "You see and hear much that is hidden from other men, Atharen. But that is only to be expected of a kinsman of Lord Elessar and a descendant of Numenoreans. Your guess is not far amiss."

Atharen softly answered, "Responsibility is a heavy burden, Ferethor. Do I not know it well? You cannot, unaided, fend off the strife that will tear this company apart - nor can you be ever alert and wary against foes that will certainly assail us. If you try to stand alone in the passage of the storm, you will be beaten down. I ask again - will you not trust in me?"

Ferethor stood for a while in silence, seeking for wisdom and counsel in his innermost mind. "In this matter but little choice is given me," He spoke at last. "But one may choose while one still can. In this matter I deem that you speak the truth, Atharen of the Dunedain. Verily am I Ferethor Amandil, captain of Minas Tirith, as you guessed long ago. Your offer of comeraderie I will tkae, and in this I place my life and my task in your hands. Do not fail me." His grey eyes were softened by sincerety, as brittle ice may melt in the spring.

"I will not. But this I ask of you in return - to be frank and truthful as far as you can. Who was the man you conversed with, and what did you discuss?"

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 02-14-2004 at 12:11 AM.