Thread: Magic vs. Power
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Another thing is that when Galadriel is showing Sam and Frodo the mirror she says something along the lines of "this would be what you call Elven magic, though I don't understand what exactly that means," Hereby she is pointing out it is not an power she aquired by long hours of study.
Actually, Mornie, I could see this in another way. For instance, if I build a radio, and turn it on in front of someone who has no concept of what a radio is, they might refer to the radio as "magic".

But I would think of it as a developed skill. The radio is not magic, and it is not controlled by any "power" that I contained within myself. It is simply understanding how a radio works, and knowing which parts to use in order to build one.

This is what I think of when Galadriel states that she does not understand the Hobbits use of the word, "magic". She has used natural elements to "build" a object that would enable her to conduct information to others. This suggests study and skill.

But if Galadriel could see these events on her own, if she can foresee the future or understand the minds of others around her, without the aid of an object such as her mirror, then I would regard this as a "power".

P.S. - Ainur - great post! And welcome to the Downs.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote