View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 10:17 PM   #20
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must agree with Finwe and The Saucepan Man about Boromir. I so did not like Boromir when I read the books 13 years ago. He seemed like a braggart and rather harsh in his demeanor, and I did not cry when he died in the books--not so the movies (as close as I get, anyway!). Sean Bean did wonders for my view of Boromir!

Don't get me into the Frodo/Arwen thing though! One of my absolute favorite scenes in the book is Frodo at the Ford, and Arwen's inclusion in this scene drains the power out of Frodo, making him more of a reactive victim type than the quietly strong character I know and love from the books. He has his moments, but he seems to need more rescuing in the movies than he does in the books. I know everyone has his or her favorite chapters/scenes, and I suppose it is inevitable that some will find their personal favorite parts butchered horribly or left out to their disappointment. I forgive that in a movie adaptation if the spirit is kept. I am eagerly awaiting ROTK to see if Faramir falls back into the mold Tolkien set for him long ago (he was, after all, the character who was most closely drawn to Tolkien himself!) I've heard some good arguments for why Faramir behaved as he did in TTT, and unfortunately, they all seem to make Frodo look really bad!

Well, enough of my complaining! Thanks for offering the soapbox! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote