Thread: Arwen
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2001, 07:26 PM   #27
Fissh, nice fissh

Ring

While I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was very good, there were certain things which irritated me.<P>I hated Liv Tyler's part and would happily have never set eyes on her again until her proper reappearance at the end of The Return Of The King. The news that she is to have a larger part in the The Two Towers sickens me. I can understand the reasoning behind this expansion of her role but I think that PJ and co are underestimating the power of Tolkien's narrative to compel without the need for romantic Hollywood subplots. <P>The revealing of Aragorn's true destiny so early on also annoyed me. I love the way that Aragorn's path slowly emerges during the course of the trilogy from the shadowy, mistrusted Strider to the true King of Gondor. The movie has already put to rest any doubt about that as we know that, this being Hollywood, there is no doubt that Aragorn is going to fulfil his destiny and evenutally be crowned king of Gondor. Also, the whole sentimental way in which Boromir's death and his final words with Aragorn were presented seems to me to be far from the spirit of the book. There is no final reconciliation between Aragorn and Boromir and this is what gives Boromir's death much of its poignancy. As with Denethor, Boromir's weakness and lack of belief in the power of good adds to the tragedy of his death. In the movie however, Boromir dies almost certain that good will prevail and that Aragorn will be crowned king. <P>Finally Hugo Weaving as Elrond was a gross error in casting. It seemed to me that his interpretation of Elrond must have been taken purely from the script's sypnosis of the character and certainly not from his reading the books. He totally overacted and his presence ruined the whole Rivendell part of the movie for me. <P>There were many other inconsistencies too numerous to mention which I guess are an inevitable part of trying to interpret a dense, detailed literary work for a commercial audience on the big screen. I just wish that PJ had been brave enough to make the truly dark, beautiful and complex film I wanted to see.<P>[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Fissh, nice fissh ]<p>[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Fissh, nice fissh ]