View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 02:42 PM   #39
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Tolkien

PJ was able to do what I thought no one would be able to do: actually portray Gollum in such a way that would evoke pity. Not the 'how pathetic' type of feeling pity or the 'better put him outta his misery' pity, but the 'oh, poor guy! don't hurt him!' pity. Back in the FOTR, all I felt was the second kind; by the TTT, I actually felt how Frodo's 'betrayal' must have been like. It was worse in the book, but the movie (no matter how rushed or abbreviated it was) made me cry with pity for Smeagol. <P>Other emotional moments for me was that muster at Helm's deep. I was not able to enjoy the full moment of it, however, because my seatmate kept commenting on how 'emotional' the scene was. Eventually, it ended up as just me watching an emotional scence on the big screen instead of vicariously experiencing the story.<P>Perhaps when I watch it alone next year. Maybe I can really feel it like I should have. Maybe then I can have a good cry.<P>Moral: Never sit beside a person who feels obligated to make a running commentary when watching 'Lord of the Rings'
Gryphon Hall is offline   Reply With Quote