View Single Post
Old 12-26-2002, 09:48 PM   #7
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For Faramir, I guess that after they reach Ithilien it could just cut to him talking with Frodo and Sam, about Boromir. It could go something like this...<P>Faramir <I>(reflectively)</I>: And so it was that Boromir but barely left the Golden Wood. <I>(laughs sorrowfully)</I> Perilous it must be, as all the stories have said.<P>Sam <I>(sitting up straighter)</I>: Well, I wouldn't say <I>perilous</I>, sir, so much as folks bring their peril with them. Now Boro--<I>(breaks off, embarrassed)</I><P>Faramir: What? Now Boromir?<P><I>(Sam looks hesitantly at Frodo, but he is lost in his own thoughts and doesn't notice. Sam is on his own.)</I><P>Faramir <I>(persisting)</I>: Boromir brought his peril with him, you would say?<P>Sam: Yes, sir, and as fine a man as your brother was, but it was in Lorién that he first saw what he wanted all along: The Enemy's Ring!<P>Frodo <I>(snapping back into the present, aghast)</I>: <I>Sam!</I><P>Sam: Save me! There I go again...the Gaffer always said, when you open your mouth you put your foot in it! <I>(stands up)</I> Now, sir, don't you go taking advantage* of Mr. Frodo because I'm no better than a fool. Here's a chance to show your quality!<P>Faramir <I>(laughing softly)</I>: Here, then, is the answer to all the riddles...here in the wild I have you: two halflings, and a host of men at my call, and the Ring of Power. A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality. Ha!<P><I>(Frodo stands up, and he and Sam draw their swords and back away from Faramir. Close-up on Faramir, obviously tempted by the Ring. Show the Ring, whispering Faramir's name. Back to Faramir. He breathes heavily, then stops, his face falling. He sits down.)</I><P>Faramir: Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial. How you have increased my sorrow, you travellers from the North. But I am not such a man as would desire this thing, even if I thought that I could master it. No, put it away and speak no more of it! For I do not wish to know any more of it. I am a man, and weak, and cannot resist this Ring for ever. But you have naught to fear from me, for I do not wish to touch it, or see it. Sleep in peace now, but first, if you can, tell me where you are going.<P>Frodo <I>(weak with relief)</I>: We are going to Mordor, to destroy it...I do not think I shall ever get there.<P><I>(He sways, and Faramir catches him as he falls. He brings him to bed, and regards him gravely, and then looks to a weary Sam.)</I><P>Faramir: I feel that we understand each other now, Master Gamgee. Sleep well now, for your journey will be long and perilous.<P>Sam <I>(smiles wearily)</I>: You took the test, sir, and showed your quality: the very highest.<P>Faramir: Did I so? Perhaps, but that will yet be seen. Sleep now.<P>[End scene]<P>~*~<BR>A little long? Good? Too closely following the book? Well, I say if it's too long then cut some of that Arwen stuff. Muahaha. But seriously, tell me what you think.<P>~*~Orual~*~<P>*Could somebody find a better way to say this, more suitable for the rather dirty minds of the public? I tried, but failed.<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Orual ]